Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ellen Birdseye to start off 2010

Ellen Birdseye by GH is my first start for 2010. While I was going through my stash trying to decide which one was calling my name this one kept falling into my hands. Then I saw Melissa's finished piece in her review of 2009 and I loved the red that she had introduced so I felt that here was another sign that this one was meant to be what I will work on in the coming weeks. Melissa very kindly shared her colour changes some of which I am using. Here is my progress so far……

Of course, as always seems to happen, the one colour I couldn’t find in my threads was GA Old Red Paint! I should have it, it’s ticked on my list of GA colours but it’s not where it should be with my other GA threads! No doubt it’s hiding in a drawer somewhere. I’ve pulled out WDW Williamsburg Red that I’m thinking might work as an alternative if Old Red Paint doesn’t show up in time. I’m planning on going with GA Old Blue Paint for the birds, I like the more muted shade of blue than the DMC 931 and I’m using the tea-dyed linen I purchased last week. Bertie, you are right, it’s a lovely linen to stitch on.

It feels so good to finally have some stitching time! The Christmas decorations are down and packed away, only DS#2 is still at home, he heads back to university next Tuesday, and although the house felt very bare when the decorations were first gone here I am a couple of days later and Christmas is becoming a distant memory!

Until next time ......

9 comments:

Carol said...

I wasn't familiar with Ellen Birdseye, Lois, so I peeked at Melissa's and, oh my, I now have another project to add to my list. Yours will be lovely and I'll look forward to following your progress this year!

Like you, I have just one son left at home. He leaves on Saturday and the house will be MUCH cleaner!! I love the peacefulness of January and February...so much more time to stitch, too :)

Katrina said...

I love Ellen Birdseye, she's kitted and in my bag so hopefully I will get to her in the next few months. In the meantime, I will enjoy watching your progress :-).

sherry ♥ lee said...

I see why you settled on starting the year with this piece...it's beautiful and so very, very you Lois! Especially in the colour changes for the more muted shades...when I looked at Melissa's finished work I could see exactly why your eyes lit up!!

Time to start thinking ahead and while Christmas isn't really a distant memory it certainly does feel that way once all the bits and baubles are packed away.

Bertie said...

Lovely colour Lois, look forward to seeing your progress of Ellen.

Melissa said...

Your start looks wonderful on that tea-dyed linen, Lois! Looking forward to seeing your progress, and if you change the red colour!

Siobhan said...

Beautiful start on Ellen, Lois! It's one of my favorite samplers. I think the Williamsburg Red will look great with it.

Cari said...

Ellen is just beautiful and I agree, Melissa's changes really add to the piece.

And the linen you are using is just wonderful!

Brigitte said...

Ellen Birdseye is a wonderful project to start a new xear with. I think I have to buy this chart as well, it's so beautiful and whenever I see it on someone's blog I want to stitch it as well. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Charlene in SC said...

The tea-dyed linen looks perfect - who is it by? Nice start, too!