Monday, January 11, 2010

Progress on Ellen & some picking up where I left off

Good morning everyone. What a difference 24 hours makes! This time yesterday we still had lots of snow and ice on the ground. Now? Temperatures seemed to rise enough yesterday for a thaw to start. Roll round to this morning, it’s raining and we no longer have a winter wonderland out there, the snow and ice are disappearing with every hour that passes!

I’ve been stitching away on Ellen and enjoying every minute of it. Why it took me so long to start to stitch this is beyond me but, now that I have, I’m so glad that I did! Then again, I have more than enough in my stash to say that about a lot of things that I have yet to get around to stitching! I did have a slight blip towards the end of last week with one of those moments when I started to doubt using WDW Williamsburg Red instead of GA Old Red Paint. With still no sign of my skein of Old Red Paint to be found here my dear stitching friend Siobhan popped an extra skein that she had into an envelope and sent it to me (thank you, Siobhan!). I stitched a second flower head so I could compare the two. There was very little difference, only a miniscule difference in the shade if I’m honest but, me being me, I felt more comfortable going with GA’s Old Red Paint. So, I undid the one flower head that I had done in Williamsburg Red and re-did it in Old Red Paint. Would anyone have noticed if I’d stayed with Williamsburg Red? Probably not but I’m back in my comfort zone!!!!

Goode Huswife's Ellen Birdseye on 32ct Elne of Lynnyn linen in Puck

This week it goes back to just DH and myself at home as DS#2 leaves tomorrow to head back to university in the north-east of England. My stitching plans for this week are to keep working on Ellen and try to get back to these …...

One of my stitching goals last year was to stitch one of the PSS Quaker Calendars each month. I managed to stitch nine of them but ground to a halt in October. Given that I’ve only three left to stitch it would be a shame not to keep going so I’m planning on picking up where I left off. Oh, and also in the mix will be my January Christmas ornament.

As another week starts hope all is well in your part of the world.

Until next time…….



18 comments:

Cari said...

Ellen is coming along beautifully. Hooray to Siobhan for coming to your rescue!

9 of the PSS Quaker complete - good for you - the remaining 3 should stitch up quickly.

Have a great day!

KarenV said...

Nice progress on Ellen!

sherry ♥ lee said...

Stitchers "know" and Siobhan knew that you would never be completely happy without that "old red paint" so ^5 to Siobhan for coming through and putting your heart at ease!!

I'm glad the weather is improving...you'd enough of that bitter cold. Now let's be on the look-out for some sunshine.

It will be quiet tomorrow indeed, but it's lovely how they've all left at different times, not all at once. Perfect time now for you to finish those last 3 pieces...and you will. I'm sure of it!! ♥

Sadie said...

Lovely progress on Ellen, and how kind of Siobhan to send you the colour you needed.

Bertie said...

Looks lovely your Ellen Birdseye, Lois. Also lovely to hear Siobhan put your heart at ease.
The Quaker ornaments are so nice, cannot wait to see them on your blog.

Am so glad for you that the snow has disappeared.
Nothing moving here, still snowed in.

Catherine said...

Great progress!

Deb said...

Ellen is coming along wonderfully! Thank goodness Siobhan came to your rescue!!

Melissa said...

Ellen is coming along nicely! It's so nice to have a stitchy friend come to the rescue!

Sharlotte said...

The stitching is looking really great! I really like the color of GA'a Old Red Paint. It's one of my favorite overdyes. Super sweet of Siobhan to send it to you.

Carol R said...

Gerat progress on Ellen!

Jackie in UK said...

Hi Lois, I thought I would try and catch up a bit with my blog reading too! My goodness, you have been so busy! I love Ellen Birdseye and you are making a wonderful job of it too! I bet you will finish this before too long. Congratulations too on your progress with the monthly quakers, you are almost there now!

Speak to you soon!

love Jackie x

Karoline said...

Great progress on Ellen, she's looking lovely

Valerie said...

Ellen is looking wonderful and you will have her done in no time, I am sure! I had not seen the Quaker calenders before but they look like a fun project! I look forward to seeing how things progress!

Carol said...

Isn't it nice to have stitching friends that can come to your rescue, Lois? I had a similar situation not too long ago.

Ellen is lovely! And I wasn't familiar with the little Quakers--they are so dear... Can't wait to see yours all stitched up.

I'm working on my January ornament, too, and enjoying (immensely!!)the peace and quiet now that my youngest has also returned to college!

Siobhan said...

I'm very happy to have come to your rescue, Lois--any time!! I love your progress on Ellen--it looks great. I can't wait to see what you do with the Quaker pieces... I keep daydreaming about doing them and poking them out of a plant like Paulette has in the cover pic.

I hope you're staying warm! I turned off the heat since it's just me in the house but my fingers are going numb so I think it might just go back on. ;) I am kind of sad to see the snow gone--it did look so nice and wintery--but nearly fell three times doing my errands this morning thanks to black ice. Yikes! Stay warm & dry!

Deborah/LavenderRose said...

Loving your stitchy work!

Maggie said...

Ellen is looking good! and Yayy to Siobhan in coming to the rescue!

Our snow has almost gone too, rained most of today..think i prefer the snow, lol

Have a good weekend x

Brigitte said...

What a nice progress on Ellen. I love to see progress pictures of this one as it's one of my favourites of The Goode Huswife.