Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hearts, flowers and a strawberry

Not quite there yet on Hearts & Flowers but I reckon that my next posting will be reporting it as a finish as I plan to just stitch the heart. As you can see, I really don’t have too much left to do……

Look at what I've received from my good friend Betsey (no blog) in a recent exchange. Isn't it lovely? The design is from Dames of the Needle.

Dames of the Needle Strawberry Flower

When I opened the box and saw what was inside I was just thrilled. I have tried to make one of these strawberries and can I tell you, it was a disaster! I made the classic mistake of cutting too close to the seam line where you pull it together at the top so that when I did try to gather it all together it just came apart. Thing was, I knew I’d cut too close but I kept going, you know where you hope that it will work out even though you know that it really won’t?!?!?!?! Can you guess where it ended up?!?! Yes, in the bin with me totally put off attempting another one!! So, I appreciate this even more, Betsey's finishing is so good.


Remember last post I talked about the pink in the toe of BBD Merry Christmas stocking? Well, as you can probably guess, the pink is gone!!! I decided to do that little part in the WDW Lancaster Red which was what was used above it and I like it much better!

Yesterday we were getting warnings of heavy snow through last night and today. I got up this morning expecting it to be a winter wonderland outside only to find that it was a mixture of rain and sleet and no sign of any snow. I’m sure some places had the snow but looks like we’ve escaped it. Rain and sleet? Still good weather to stay inside and get some stitching done!
Until next time...

25 comments:

staci said...

I really love your Hearts and Flowers...it's so sweet and beautiful! And it's so close to being finished!

Sherry said...

The hearts and flowers is "classic" you Lois! It's gorgeous.

And what Bestey made you? Lovely indeed. I'm smiling...cutting too close to the seam but going on anyway hoping -- that's exactly how I sewed all the time which is why I've never really mastered it. So nice that you now have one of these strawberries...a treasure indeed.

Glad you didn't get all that snow (though sleet is no fun). Perfect weather for staying indoors!

And no surprise you changed to the Lancaster red...I think it was preordained!! :)

Deb said...

You are so close. It's such a pretty design. And that Strawberry is just beautiful. I hear you on putting these things together. I did the same thing when I was trying to make something once. So frustrating. I found a little tip though. Now I line a lot of my things with very fine iron on interfacing. It helps keep everything from fraying when you have to work with it. Linen can be a beast sometimes with all the fraying!

Margaret said...

Your Hearts and Flowers is almost done! I just love it! The strawberry is a wonderful gift too. We're supposed to get more snow tonight and tomorrow. We've got slush snow now. Yuck!

KarenV said...

Love your Hearts and Flowers Lois, it's so pretty! Our snow is all gone, thank goodness and it's much warmer here today - I hope that's the end of winter for a while!

Lovely strawberry from your friend, she did a great job! I would have done the same as you, kept going and tried to make it work LOL Sometimes you've just got to admit defeat!

Andrea said...

Love your Hearts and Flowers progress, you're almost to the finish line! It's such a beautiful design and the colors are so happy :-)

Beautiful strawberry too!

xoxo

Melissa said...

I love the Hearts and Flowers - so pretty and SPRING like! (It's coming, just taking its own sweet time!)

The strawberry is just lovely! Lucky you! I love those things.

corinna said...

almost there...looking good
strawberry is sweet

sounds like perfect stitching weather

April Mechelle said...

Heart is Beautiful !! Strawberry is Great !!!

Sharlotte said...

Hearts and Flowers looks really great Lois! And the strawberry is simply wonderful! I like WDW Lancaster Red as well. One of favorite shades of Weeks actually.

Bertie said...

Love the Heart, such great colours.

The strawberry is a wonderful gift, gorgeous!! They are a bit of a nightmare to finish.

Glad to hear the snow was not near you, we had some, but disappeared quickly now roll on spring.

Catherine said...

Hearts and Flowers looks fanastic!

And that strawberry gift is beautiful - lucky girl!

Cari-in-VA said...

Lois, you are so close to finishing this lovely piece! And what a delightful gift from your friend, the strawberry is so sweet.

I vote that you pack up that errant strawberry and send it off to Deb to work her magic.

I'm glad you took out the pink you didn't like, I hope the fix is exactly what you wanted.


February is so quickly coming to a close.

Enjoy your week.

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Your Hearts and Flowers is just gorgeous! The strawberry is beautifully finished and what a lovely gift. Hope your weather is holding out - we were blanketed in fog this morning with threats of snow tonight and tomorrow. I'm so over winter!

Katrina said...

Love all your pieces! Hearts and Flowers is so pretty.

Hope you stay warm and don't get too much snow!

Siobhan said...

It looks great, Lois! I really must do this one, it is so pretty. I love the strawberry from Betsey! Wow, what a gorgeous small.

Carol said...

Oh, you're almost finished, Lois--it is so delicate and pretty! Will you frame it?

And how sweet is that strawberry from Betsey? I don't think I would dare putting together anything like that--it would probably end up looking like a carrot instead of a berry :)

Valerie said...

Hearts and Flowers is almost finished! I bet you are excited! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Heidi said...

Love your Hearts and Flowers. I had to smile at how we are both talking strawberries at the moment. Your gift is just wonderful.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Snip said...

Great progress on Hearts and Flowers. Beautiful! And what a sweet strawberry.

FayeRaye said...

Ilove your hearts and flowers piece...VERY pretty!~ Thanks for joining my blog and your nice comments!~ Faye

Annie said...

The Hearts and Flowers piece is really pretty. That must be a fun stitch.

The strawberry is lovely too. I've never figured out how to leave just the right amount of fabby at the tip to remove bulk. Looks like Betsey got it just right.

Cindy's Stitching said...

Both are nice. how lucky are you. The strawberry is adorable.

Karoline said...

Hearts and Flowers is looking lovely, great progress

Brigitte said...

Meanwhile you might have finished Hearts and Flowers. Mine is still in the box with kitted projects.
The strawberyy you got looks darling. So pretty. I have never tried to make one but one day I will. Good to know that there should be a large enough marge at the top of it .