Thursday, May 6, 2010

This 'n that

Hi everyone! Well, not yet a finish with Her Sampler but almost there. I’ve run out of one colour (DMC 3011) and, of course, it’s the colour that’s used most!! When I started I knew I might be cutting it fine whether I’d have enough or not but hoped for the best. By the start of this week I knew I was going to be out of luck. I won’t be able to pick up another skein until the weekend (and hopefully will be able too, there’s only one place here that sells DMC and it can be a bit hit or miss on finding the ones you want). I know that DMC are usually okay with dye lots but I couldn’t tell you how long I’ve had this skein and, just in case there is a slight variation in colour, I reckoned the best thing to do was to stitch the borders so they, at least, would be exactly the same. If there is a slight change in colour it hopefully wouldn't be so noticeable being used in the motifs.

Other than that, these arrived today so my plans for this afternoon include getting them potted up and then hoping that with lots of tender, loving care they will grow!!!
They don’t look like too much at the moment, do they?! A friend’s daughter was doing a fund-raiser in their Guide group where you could order plants from this company. There are five plants – 2 peppers, a tomato, courgette and aubergine. I’ve grown peppers and tomatoes before, with mixed success, but the courgette and aubergine will be new to me. These are all varieties that can be grown in containers. Now all that's needed is a warm, sunny summer and lots of luck!!!!

And before I go, thought I’d share the PSS Quaker Calendar that I have on display this month. I’m still dragging my feet on getting the last two in this series stitched but hope to get them done at some point this year.

Hoping all is well with you and yours.
Until next time ……

16 comments:

Cari-in-VA said...

Lois- I hope you can find the DMC. If not, let me know and I will be happy to send you a skein.

Love your Quaker monthly - you could try Deb's remedy of just doing one strand a day in your last two quakers.

Hope you have a wonderful day!

MrsB said...

A cute design - hope you manage to get the missing skein...

KarenV said...

Her Sampler is looking wonderful Lois! I ordered some more 3011 before I started, as I knew I wouldn't have enough and there was no real dye lot difference (that I can tell, anyway). The skein of 613 I ordered is another matter...;)

I usually order my DMC from Kat's Cross Stitch now (there's a link in the sidebar of my blog) as it's only 30p a skein and postage is about 75p for up to 30 skeins. Service was good and it saves me having to pay Hobbycraft's rip off prices!

Good luck with the plants - we have aubergine and courgette too, as well as tomatoes. We tried to grow courgette once before but the slugs ravaged the plant :( We're having better luck this time - I can recommend Slug Stoppa copper tape around your pots, it really seems to help.

Catherine said...

Lovely stitching! Hope you find the thread!

Margaret said...

Your sampler is so pretty!! I love it! Love the Quaker monthly too.

Elaine said...

Your sampler wip is really pretty and I love your quaker monthly.
Good luck with the plants!

Katrina said...

Your sampler is so pretty. I think if you use a different skein in the border you won't be able to tell.

Have fun gardening.

Karen said...

I love "Her Sampler"...you are so making me want to stitch this one now! Think I might have to move it closer to the top.

Great job...hope you get your thread this weekend!

Carol said...

Oh, you've made great progress, Lois--I do hope the color matches when you get the new DMC. You were smart to finish the border, though, because, as you say, any difference from now 'till you finish will be less noticeable.

I had to look up what courgettes and aubergines were! Your names for these vegetables sound so much prettier than the American names for them: zucchini and eggplant! Perhaps I might even eat them with such pretty sounding names :)

Hope your weekend is a good one!

Berit said...

Coming along quite beautifully! :D

Karoline said...

Her Sampler is looking lovely, hope you can get your hands on the skien on DMC quickly

Siobhan said...

Lois, good luck finding the skein. If you can't find it, I'm sure I have it here and if not, there's a shop that sells DMC that I can run over to and grab a skein. Just give me a shout! Your Her Sampler looks fantastic--not much to go now! And I love love love that Quaker series!

Brigitte said...

Her Sampler looks fantastic, and with some luck you will find a skein of DMC without any difference to the one you are using. I've had that before that although DMC dyelots are usually no problem as you say there were slight differences when using a very old skein and a new one together.
Your pinkeep is so beautiful.

corinna said...

i hope this wknd finds you with needed dmc in hand and watching your garden grow

your quaker calender finish is sweet---2 more-----nothing to it-
easy for me to say whilst sitting about doing much of nothing

have happy stitches in the upcoming days :0)

Valerie said...

Lois- good luck finding the DMC...hopefully the dye lot will be an exact match and if not, well I am sure that not a soul will notice!

Your Quaker calendar is lovely and I am sure fun to change out every month! Good luck finishing it up!

Happy Stitching!

Jill said...

Lois, I love your blog! I had to look up what a courgette was! I hope all of your plants grow!

Jill