Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A finish, a start & some stitching mojo returns

Hi everyone! Well, I seem to have hit August and have a bit more of my stitching mojo back. My mind has been buzzing about what I’d like to be working on in the next few months, I’m feeling enthusiastic again about stitching a Christmas ornament each month and it feels good!!!!

First of all let me report a finish……


Yes, I put the final stitches in BBD’s Pins and Tulips Pincushion a couple of days ago. I did enjoy this one. Now, me with my symmetrical mind couldn’t just stitch the letter L in the top left corner. No, it didn’t sit right with me that there wasn’t a letter in the bottom right so I had to put a T for my surname there! A little bit of a change from the original but it works for me.


Next up is my new start. I wanted to squeeze in one last summer piece before I start getting the urge to do some autumn stitching. So, here’s BBD’s Summer Basket which I’ve seen popping up on various blogs the last little while. I just love the colours in this one and, of course, it’s an alphabet …… need I say more?!?!?!! I put the first stitches in this yesterday and here’s my progress. I am not using the suggested fabric but have gone with a cream which I think should work fine.

I’ve had some nice mail in the last week, the latest BBD Anniversaries of the Heart has arrived plus I ordered this fabric from The Pied Piper. I’d seen their name mentioned on KarenV's blog and having checked their website saw several pieces of fabric to order. Quick, prompt service and I’ll be ordering from them again.


Next week DS#1 will be home for a few days. Tomorrow he’s off to Edinburgh. When he was a student he had a summer job in the Edinburgh Festival and he still goes back every year to meet up with friends and go to some of the shows. Hope all is well in your part of the world and, as ever, thanks for dropping by!

Until next time ......

19 comments:

Bertie said...

Lovely to see your BBD tulips finished, such lovely projects from the Sarah book, have been leafing in it myself yesterday, so tempting.

Love the fabrics and have bookmarked that one instantly, thanks.

Hope the weather holds out in Edinburgh for the festival, must be a great event.

KarenV said...

Lovely finish Lois! I like your idea of putting your last initial in the bottom corner, it works really well.

Your new start is very pretty - I do love the colours in this one and they work well on the cream. Glad I could be of assistance with the stash enhancing ;) Just a word of caution though - if you haven't already, I strongly suggest you open out all the pieces of fabric and check them. I put my orders from them away without unfolding them and when I came across one or two recently and opened them out, they were marked along one edge, quite noticeably, as if they'd got wet or something. Of course, the staining "may* have happened my end, but I think it's unlikely, since nothing else was affected, just two pieces which I know I'd got from there. I was probably just unlucky, but I wish I'd checked and then I could have raised it with them immediately if they were stained when I received them. Not trying to put you off or anything - it was only a couple of pieces, but better safe than sorry!

Annie said...

Beautiful stitchng. Funny how we have to get those little details exactly to our own satisfaction!

Love the new fabbies. I'll have to check out that source.

Margaret said...

Congratulations on your finish and your new start! I love them both! Love the fabrics you ordered too. What fun that your son had a summer job in the Edinburgh Festival before. Nice that he still goes back and has that connection to it. Hope he has fun!

Elaine said...

Beautiful finish Lois and such a pretty new start. Just love the colours and look forward to seeing this one progress.
Gorgeous new fabric, off to check out their site.
Hope your son has a great time in Edinburgh.

staci said...

Beautiful finish...I love the way you personalized it! Your new start and new stash are equally pretty.

Have fun with your son while he's still home :)

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

What a great finish, Lois! It turned out great!

Great new fabric stash, too!

valerie said...

Great finish! I've been seeing the tulips popping a lot lately...makes me want to stitch them! Fun fabric stash!

Andrea said...

Love your finish Lois, one of my very favorites. I especially like how you added your initials...you're too funny about having to be symetrical...I am the same way, but don't always succeed like you have here :)

Very nice start on your next project...don't you just love BBD? If I only ever stitched their designs, that would be just fine!

xoxo

Mary said...

I love your latest finish and I am so glad that I am not the only one who needs to have things symmetrical. Can't wait to see more of your new project.
Mary

Jackie said...

I can see why you made the addition that you did. It would have bugged me too. I love it when we add our own little bits of personalization to our projects!

Carol said...

Your tulips have bloomed beautifully, Lois! I, too, would have had to make the design symmetrical--it looks perfect!

And what a lovely new start--perfect for the final days of summer into fall...

Enjoy your time with your oldest...Hope your weekend is relaxing and enjoyable :)

Katrina said...

Love your finish, and I am with you on the symmetry thing, LOL. Fun new start too :-).

Have a nice visit with your son!

Deb said...

Just love your finish and your start and the fabric that you picked up. And I'm with you on the symetrical thing too - I'd probably do the same thing because I love a nice balance in a piece.

Jan said...

Oh I see something that I MUST stitch now, thanks Lois! lol It is a fabulous small finish, and your new summer project, will be equally lovely! YGG!!

Thanks for the photo and the link to the fabric, that is very pretty!!

Don 't lose that mojo, it is flattering!

Berit said...

What beauties! Thanks for sharing. I'm in the Christmas ornie mood, too! :D

Karoline said...

Lovely finish Lois and a great new start

Brigitte said...

Isn't it great when the stitching mojo slowly comes back and you get motivated again to stitch something new or old? The same here ...
What a lovely finish you have. BBD projects are always tempting. Very nice new start.

Suzanne said...

Beautiful finish and nice change as well. I love the Summer Basket start.