Sunday, August 1, 2010

Home again and back to some stitching

Hi everyone! Can anyone tell me how it got to be August?!?!?! It seems like the month of July just flew in and I can’t say I managed to get too much stitching done! Here’s hoping for better things in August! First of all though, thanks for all your lovely comments on my completed Sampler Folk. For now it’s in my ‘finished’ pile but I’ll be framing it at some point.

Since last I blogged I have started this one……

Yes, another that I have loved but which has been languishing in my stash pile for a while, BBD's Pins & Tulips Pincushion from their booklet Thank You, Sarah Tobias. This one I’m stitching on some 32ct Puck Elne of Lynnyn linen that I had left after stitching Ellen Birdseye. I’m using the suggested threads and, given how quickly this is stitching up (only started it yesterday) I’m hopeful of a quick finish.

DH and I had a lovely time when we were away. We first of all spent a couple of days with our eldest son and then we visited with our daughter. It was good to see them both and spend a little bit of time with them. DS#1 plans to come home later on this month for a week so we’ll see him again soon. DD has no plans for a visit home in the next few months so it could be nearer to Christmas before we see her again.

We also spent a day here – Hay-on-Wye. This is a lovely town, full of second-hand bookshops and, if you love books, you’ll be in heaven! Here are just a few of them.


I loved how so many of the shops had comfy chairs that you could sit in and read. There was even one that had a resident tabby cat! No-one minded if you wanted to spend ages browsing and now that we’ve visited DH and I would love to go back again for the Festival that’s held each year at the end of May. Aside from bookshops, look at this gorgeous view from the car park?!


And finally, before I go, remember the Christmas ornament stitching that wasn’t really happening last time I blogged?!?! Well, I do have a finish to report for July…… this one …..

Yes, one that was a very quick, easy stitch but I do love these JBW Christmas designs. I plan on trying to finish this one myself – let’s see how I do with a triangular shape!!!!!

Hope all is well in your part of the world. Thanks for dropping by and please don’t hesitate to leave a comment. I’m always thrilled to hear from you.

Until next time ……

18 comments:

Annie said...

Looks like a fun sampler. Your stitched tree looks great too. Looking forward to seeing the finish.

Haye-on-Wye looks like such a picturesque little town. A great place to do a relaxing getaway.

Jackie said...

I love bookstores that encourage browsing!

I'm looking forward to seeing your finished Christmas Tree.

Margaret said...

Glad you had a good vacation. Love your BBD piece. I've done that one and yes, it does stitch up fast. The town with all thebookstores sounds wonderful. I love broesing in bookshops. These days in my neck of the woods, one can't find good independent bookshops closeby. I miss them.

Annemarie said...

I. Love. Haye-on-Wye and I would go back every year if I could :o). Sarah Tobias is beautiful, as is your wee Christmas tree. If we're all stitching Christmas ornies, it must be the second half of the year, right?

Patti said...

I'm really glad you had such a nice holiday. For some reason I thought you were American but you aren't. Don't you just love Katie's fabrics because I know I sure do. Love this one too, but luckily enough for me I have this one. I might just do what you did and use some of Katie's fabric to stitch it on.
Love
Patti xxx

Brigitte said...

You're working on a great project. I have this one in my to-stitch-pile as well.
Book shops are just the same as needlework shops - I just feel attracted by them and have to go in. And the ones that have comfy chairs are the best. An absolute rarity here.

KarenV said...

Glad you managed to get your ornament done, it's really sweet :) I love those little JBW trees too.

Hay-on-Wye is such a gorgeous place to visit! I've been, but ages ago and I'd definitely love to go back :) Glad you had a good trip too!

Bertie said...

Glad to hear your holiday was a success Lois, I love Haye-on-Wye too, we sat down for a day's reading in a few bookshops after our week's walk on Offa's Dyke :)

Love that linen you are using for ST, are we the only one's using it??

Clara said...

What a lovely post! I do adore your country and the british weather: the pictures show the "perfect sky". Congratulations on your works, you must have magic hands. Hugs from Sicily, Clara.

Carol said...

Hi Lois! Just got back from our beach vacation and am attempting to catch up on all of my favorite blogs :)

Hay-on-Wye (love that name!) sounds like my kind of town with all of those bookstores. I love seeing photos from quaint little villages...I'm so glad your visit with your children was so enjoyable.

Your little Christmas ornament and start on Sarah are both adorable. You'll do just fine with the triangular finish I'm sure :)

Elaine said...

Lovely new start Lois and your little tree is very cute.
Hay-on-Wye looks a nice town. I could quite easily get lost in all those book stores.

Melissa said...

Oh, my, second hand bookshops? That got my heart going! That looks like such a lovely town too. Wish I could be there.

Love your stitching, Lois!

Karoline said...

Nice start on the pincushion and the tree is lovely.

Glad you had a good break. I've only been to Hay once & I'd love to go back.

Katrina said...

What a fun trip!!!! Love all the pictures and cute finishes too.

Sherri said...

What a great trip - bookstore like that are very appealing. Love the JBW tree!

Vinniey said...

Love your christmas ornament and Sarah, they are so gorgeous. :)

Isabelle said...

I discover your blog and I think it's wonderful ! I wille come backvery soon and put it in my favorites. Isabelle

Suzanne said...

Nice work on the tulips, I think this is one of my favourite from the book. Love your Christmas tree.

Secondhand book stores are so fun to visit.