Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A final finish for summer

Hi everyone! BBD’s Summer Basket can be reported as a finish! I put the final stitches in on the weekend. I did enjoy stitching this one, the colours are so delicate and summery and I was pleased with how the cream linen worked out instead of using the suggested WDW Baby’s Breath.


From the picture on the front cover of the chart my skein of GA Clover seemed similar to what was used in the original model. That had patches of deep pink that did go to lighter pink but then my skein also went into large chunks of white. I ended up just making sure I used the deeper tones otherwise it completely faded out. I ordered another skein of GA Clover (with thanks to Karla at The Patchwork Rabbit for going the extra mile to try and send me one that wasn’t too pale) which was more overall pink without the really deep tones and used that with the darker pink. So, if you pull the colours to stitch this one and you look at your skein of Clover and think it looks too pale I guess what I’m saying is, you might want to consider changing to something that has deeper pink in it.

Notice a difference in colour in some of the letters from previous posts? When I finished the zigzag border at the bottom and still had some of the deeper pink left I went back and re-did the paler parts of the letters O, R, S and T so they stood out a little more. Other than that, I used the suggested threads all of which worked just fine.

Then, something I stitched last month but as I was sending it as a part of a birthday package I didn’t want to show until it had been received.

Chessie & Me freebie - Bird & Flower stitched on 32ct linen using suggested threads

My first attempt at a floss tag holder and overall, I was pleased with how it turned out although, as always, the perfectionist in me felt that it could be improved upon!!

Thanks, as ever, for your visits to my blog and to those who take the time to leave a comment. It’s always great to hear from you!

Until next time …..

25 comments:

Jackie said...

Lovely finishes! You're too hard on yourself on the floss tag - it looks wonderful!

Christina said...

BBD Summer Basket is just gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing this framed. It'll keep you going during the long, winter months to come!
Your floss tag is great - I really must try my hand at one of these soon!

Jane said...

Two beautiful stitches, the colours in Summer Basket are so pretty and an impressive first attempt at a floss tag holder ~ I would think the birthday recipient was very happy! xxx

Annie said...

The sampler is beautiful. I struggle with those contrast issues all the time. Love the delicate colors, but love to see my stitching too!

Great job on the floss tag. I always say that if it's too perfect, it wouldn't look hand-made!

Mary said...

Hi Lois
What a lovely finish Summer Basket is. The colours are perfect and remind me of a bowl of gelati.
Mary

Margaret said...

Lovely finishes! It's great that you solved your color issues on the BBD piece. Looks wonderful, as does the floss tag!

KarenV said...

Summer Basket is beautiful Lois! I agree the colours are really pretty :) I ended up using a WDW colour, Rose Quartz, because my skein of Clover was too pale.

Love your floss tag too, that's such a sweet design and you stitched and finished it perfectly :)

Bertie said...

Congratulations!! always great to finish, gives such a good feeling, the colours look wonderful Lois.

The floss tag is gorgeous too, great finishing with the ring, have not tried that myself yet. It is perfect Lois LOL

Kajsa said...

Wow, that turned out pretty! Thanks for the heads up, I will try to remember that.

Karen said...

Beautiful finish and perfect for the end of summer. I like your floss tag too...you did great for your first time.

Patti said...

Gorgeous finishes. Love the BBD finish but then again I am a BBD junkie. The Chessie & Me one is gorgeous but I can't find their website to get it from :-(

Love
Patti xxx

Catherine said...

Fabulous finishes! Your tag looks great - at least you attemped it - I haven't tried those yet.

Andrea said...

Ohmygosh Lois, your Summer Basket is GORGEOUS!! WOW!! I love it so much, your finish is so inspiring, really lovely!
The little floss tag is too cute!
Great stitching!

valerie said...

Great finishes! I love how the Clover turned out in the zigzag despite the trouble it gave you and your floss tag looks terrific!

Denise said...

Lois- your 'Summer Basket' turned out great! Your choice of pinks made it more special.
I like the floss tag. I did it some time ago and used fall colors.
Yours is very pretty and delicate looking.
Since all of my finishing is far from perfect, yours looks super to me!

Barbeeque4 said...

Two really lovely finishes!!

Elaine said...

Another beautiful finish Lois and your floss tag looks fab.
Look forward to your next project.
Have a nice week-end. Hugs!

Carol said...

Congratulations on a wonderful finish, Lois--it is a real beauty! And I love your little floss tag, too! I've not attempted one yet--what tool do you use to make the little hole?

Hope all is well with you--will write soon :)

Karoline said...

Both finishes are gorgeous, congratulations

Katrina said...

Gorgeous finishes!!!! I love the BBD piece and the floss tag is so cute :-).

Sharon said...

Gorgeous finish and your floss tag looks great. I have to make one of those.

Lee said...

Wow, I thought for sure that I had commented on this! It's just beautiful Lois. I think you captured the muted colors perfectly. I just love the femininity of this piece.

Aren't you glad that you finished it before the "official" end of summer?

Siobhan said...

Fantastic finishes, Lois! I love your Summer Basket! Great job on the floss tag, too.

Lisa said...

what a beautiful bbd finish, love the colours.
the floss tag is perfect

Suzanne said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish! Love your floss tag.