Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Joy, hearts and falling leaves

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your lovely comments on my completed Live Laugh Love by La D Da and BBD ornament. You are all the best and certainly know how to make a girl feel good about her stitching!

Given that we’re into November (how did that happen?!?!), and December will be here before we know it, I thought I’d start with one I stitched earlier this year……August to be exact ……and which I have finally got round to putting together.


Renato Parolin Joy ornament

Confession time. Not only did I cut the fabric a tad too close to where the finishing seam was on one side but, having stitched three sides together, I realised that I’d left that side as the final seam. Since then I’ve had a major case of procrastination. Well, no matter how much I hoped/wished/dreamed, it really wasn’t going to finish itself. So, I took a deep breath and spent a fiddly hour trying to stuff the ornament and finish the seam without the linen unravelling on me! The seam isn’t perfect, don't look too closely (!!), but I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it will hold!!!

Back to some stash diving and I’ve started this one ….

BOAF’s Happy Hearts Sampler on 32ct LL Autumn Gold. I'm planning to have this one as our family sampler so I'll be putting in the year that DH and I were married. Not sure whose initials of the five of us will go where so that I’ll be leaving to the end and deciding then. I've only really made a start on this but I'm enjoying stitching with the stronger colours on the fabric.

Would you like to see a couple of pictures of how far into autumn we are around here?


The leaves were probably at their best about a week ago but was I organised enough to take the camera when I was out and about?!?!? No!!!! Since then we’ve had quite a bit of rain and wind and you can see that some of the trees have lost most of their leaves. It was sunny this morning (not now, the rain is pouring down again!) and I remembered to take the camera with me so hope you enjoy a little taste of what’s left of the autumn colour near to where I live.
Life’s been busy around here, some redecorating going on and eldest son was home for the weekend so I’m a little behind on my blog reading. I’m hoping to fix that this week and get caught up with everyone!

Until next time ……


27 comments:

KarenV said...

Your ornament is very pretty Lois! :) (Having the seam on the back, like I showed in the BBD pincushion "tutorial" does save you that kind of problem though :) )

Love your new start, the colours are so pretty, I shall enjoy watching your progress on this one :)

Annie said...

A finish is a finish and only you would look so closely. It's a very cute little ornie.

Good choice for you next project.

Jan said...

Gosh, Lois...looks like you are still enjoying autumn there...ours is about gone!!

That is a lovely ornament, give for you having the determination to finish it!

Also love your new start...hmmm..I am wondering about maybe doing this one for my family...it just keeps getting bigger, with the births of my two granddaughters and a new son in law! Anyway, VERY lovely start!!

Margaret said...

What a pretty ornament! I'm glad it came out! Love your new start too. It will make a great family sampler. Your fall looks so pretty. I love fall colors!

carol fun said...

Such a pretty ornament! The red and white is so cheerful. Have fun with the BOAF piece. I did it several years ago and I just love the different motifs in it - hearts, hands, bird. Just a happy piece -

Myra said...

I think your ornament is very pretty Lois even if it gave you a fit with the finishing. I love the colors in your new start as well as the fall colors around your house.

Bertie said...

Cannot see a thing Lois, it will hold I am sure, lovely ornament.

Your BOF looks wonderful, I have been looking my socks of for this chart and if you ever think of selling it :))

The autumn is very good this year, and your pictures are wonderful, lovely colours, hope it will not get to windy!!

Chris said...

I love the ornament finish Lois! The new start is fabulous too.

Karen said...

Nice ornament finish. Love your BOAF start...one of my favorites.

Enjoy your autumn weather...and leaves!

Denise said...

It's fall in Ireland, I see! Well, it's fall in Georgia, too...I love all the colors and the cool air.
Your 'Joy' ornament is lovely.
Finishing is my absolutely least favorite thing to do. I am always cutting my fabric too small! I really admire the lovely finished pieces I see on so many blogs, yours included!

Joy said...

Your ornament turned out great! When I cut myself short on fabric, I use a little less stuffing. Looks like you're having a beautiful autumn...enjoy!

Beth said...

Anyone who has the skills to finish an ornament is to be commended. Period!

Jackie said...

I'm glad you finished your ornament! What do you consider the optimal amount of fabric edge to have to finish an ornie?

I love the new start as well. Your personalization is going to make it really special.

Catherine said...

What a sweet ornament - glad you were able to get it to work for you! Love the new start - great colors!

Katrina said...

What pretty pictures, love the trees and leaves :-). Gorgeous ornament and the BOAF piece is so pretty!

staci said...

Beautiful ornament finish! I have that exact same problem with some ornaements that have been sitting around waiting for finishing...I need to follow your lead and just finish them already!

Beautiful fall pics too :)

Karin said...

Congrats on the ornament Lois! I like how you finished it.

Love, love, love the new project!!! *sigh* another one I have in my stash and want to start now too. :-)

Natalia said...

Lois, I love your ornament and you finished it quite nicely !! Love your sampler too, but..... whatever happened with The Shores, girl??!! Have you started yet :-)
Oh isn't autumn beautiful? The trees here in Colorado have almost no leaves by now, snow is next. Hugs !!

Susan said...

Your autumn pics are wonderful!

the ornament - what to say but that it has happened to all of us at one time or another. We do what we can and go forward - as a friend and co-worker said TF and I like to add TFL (tits forward ladies) I hope no offense is given with my comment as none was ment.

Happy Stitching!

Carol said...

So nice to see the pretty autumn photos, Lois--looks like you've had some lovely colors over there. Wish ours had been so pretty...

Your ornament is so pretty--I am really developing a love for red and white stitching after having done my little red and white piece last month. And I love your new start--you must have a lot of stash. You always pick out such great pieces that I've never seen before. This one looks particularly cute with all of the different little motifs around the border! Enjoy :)

gracie said...

I only see a lovely ornament in red and white! Nice job....new piece is looking good too.

Brigitte said...

You've got some lovely finishes lately. Wonderful finishing, too. The seam of your latest ornament will certainly hold.
I love the chart that you pulled out when stash diving. I have already seen it stitched on some blogs and it's a wonderful project. Just the perfect colours for the fall.

Giovanna said...

Very cute ornie! And great start on the BoaF, it's a lovely sampler.

Sharon said...

Beautiful ornament!

Siobhan said...

Your ornament is beautiful, Lois, regardless of the problems! I think it looks great. Love the new start, too! I love BOAF. The autumn pics are wonderful! Doesn't it seem as if there's more color this year? Love it!

I'm sorry I'm late with emails as usual... FIL took a bad turn and things are crazy.

Karoline said...

Great ornament Lois, congratulations

Lovely new start

Berit said...

Love it all! Ornament looks great, and you know I love your new start as I have BoaF on the brain lately! (I need to rustle up some of their charts while I still can!

Your autumn leaves are just enchanting. Thanks for sharing. :)