Tuesday, February 1, 2011

January round-up

Hi everyone! There I was under the delusional idea that January wouldn’t be ending until later on this week! I have no idea why I thought that but let’s just say that when I realised on the weekend that, in fact, January ended on Monday it gave me something of a shock. So, where I’d thought I still had plenty of time to do the final finishing of my chosen ornament for January (read that as procrastinate for a few more days!!) instead there was a quick change of stitching plans for the weekend and the ornament got bumped up the list! And here it is…..

This is the ornament from the Brightneedle chart Love in a Manger Sampler. I’ve stitched this one a couple of times as gifts but have always stitched it over 2. This time round I decided to stitch it over one. It’s stitched on 30ct R&R Alabaster that I had in my stash and a mix of DMC and WDW rather than the Thread Gatherer Silk ’N Colors called for.

Although I’m giving myself two months for each block of AaHRH I thought I’d give you an update on where I am with this second block. I’m using DMC instead of NPS and have been happy with the colours so far. Well, I started to fill in the barn with the suggested DMC (921) and felt it was far too orange. I did that thing of stitching a little bit more because I might suddenly love it but then realised that that wasn’t going to happen. Having checked a DMC/NPS conversion chart online it listed DMC 356 as an alternative and with thanks to Siobhan, who put the three colours together and said that yes, the 356 was a closer match, I’ve now started to fill in the barn with that and like it much better. You’ll see the 921 orange in the top left of the barn. Yes, still to be frogged, I just had more enthusiasm for starting the 356 in another part of the barn but it gives you a chance to see the difference in the shades and I will eventually get to the frogging.


Out of the things that I had planned to stitch in January there was only one that I didn't manage to do - the first little block of PS Twelve Days of Christmas. I did make a start on it …..

just didn’t manage to finish it…….hopefully this month!

I hope all is well with you and yours. It’s a nice day here, the sun is shining and I’ve noticed that my daffodil bulbs are coming to life and are showing about an inch above the soil. I love seeing signs of spring appearing. As ever, thanks for all your lovely comments and for dropping by my blog to read my ramblings!

Until next time….

21 comments:

Annie said...

It's a shame you have to frog to find just the right color. X-stitching takes so long, but you really have to do a portion to see what the colors look like. Glad you've found that the 356 suits your taste.

Super-cute ornament. I'm glad January is gone... one fewer month of this cold Winter left to go through.

KarenV said...

Would you hate me if I said I liked the 921? ;) Having said that, I think it might be a bit much overall and the 356 is a nice contrast to the window/door detailing. I did the stitching a bit more thing on Alpha Birds with the pink, but I think deep down you know when the colour isn't right.

I love your little BN ornament, their designs are so sweet! I don't think our daffs are coming up yet - DH assures me he did plant some bulbs, so we'll see :)

Carol said...

Daffodils are sprouting, Lois??!! Oh, you lucky girl... I haven't even seen the ground or grass except for one week since early December due to our snow. I'm so tired of it!!

Your ornament is darling--love the fact that it is stitched "over one," too! And what wonderful progress on your Autumn HRH. I substituted many of the orangey colors in CatHRH, too. Guess we are just not fans of the color, are we?

Are you stitching the 12 Days as individual blocks? I stitched day one a long, long time ago, but never got any more done. Maybe you'll inspire me :)

Have a great week, Lois!

Elizabeth said...

Your stitching looks great and I love how the ornament is done over one. Very lovely. Looks like you're getting pretty far on AHRH! Hope you're enjoying it :)

Sally said...

Your ornament is lovely.

AaHRH is coming along well. Love the PS too.

Sharlotte said...

Great hearing from you Lois! I , too, have the Autumn at Hawk Run Hollow chart. I comend you for stitchig two blocks a month. That would be a challenge for me. I'm glad to know about the change of the 356 from 921. I have also had to make some changes on the HoHRH. Don't understand why some designers will prefer one conversion over another when clearly the other works better.

Margaret said...

I love all your stitching! Glad you got the ornie for January done. over one is so pretty! Love your Autumn in the Hollow too. Hope you don't run into anymore color problems. It's so not fair that you all in the UK are seeing signs of spring. We're just seeing more snow and some ice too. With tons already on the ground. Sigh.

Katrina said...

Yuck, I hate frogging!!!! Glad you found a color you like better :-). Cute ornaments too!!!

Brigitte said...

Oh, a nice little ornament, and the best thing is that it's finished. I also stitch an ornament a month and mine is stitched but still not finished. And I still need to add some beading.
A@HRH looks wonderful.. I must admit that I also had a bit of a problem with the orange on one of the Houses blocks, but after a while I got used to it and even liked it.
Great start on the PS piece.

Siobhan said...

Wow, you had a productive month, Lois! I love your ornament! Funny you should mention the 12 Days of Christmas--my friend Sharon was talking about it today, too. I went to pull out my chart but figured I had to do some other ornaments first. I'm like a kid getting distracted by each shiny new toy. Your AiHRH looks GREAT!! You know, you could always keep in the 921... no need to frog it. It'd just add a little extra character to it. Just a thought! It looks great so far.

Bertie said...

Great ornament Lois, brownie points for doing these ornaments every month.
AHRH looks wonderful so far and like your thread changes, orange is a bit to much for me too.
12 Days will be ready for Dec then:)) look forward to it.
Glad to hear you have sunny days, it's quite miserable here.

dixiesamplardesigns said...

Love the ornament...so festive...and over one is my FAVE!!

AHRH looks fabulous...not a fan of orange...maybe pumpkin or sienna, but not orange, LOL!

Happy Stitchin'
Terri

Babs in Alabama said...

Lois, I have to agree with Siobhan. Many times a different color is used in a slanted pic (barn) like that showing just a little darker or lighter shade. I'd think about it. Two blocks a month! How do you do that AND the sweet little ornament? 12 days on my list too.
babs

Melissa said...

Ooooh, lovely stitching, Lois! That BN ornament is super cute.

Funny, we are having early signs of spring too...although the temperature has been up and down a lot like being out in stormy seas. The plants are confused I think!

valerie said...

Beautiful ornie! It looks so sweet stitched over one! Sorry to hear about the frogging on AoHTH. Those conversions can be frustrating at times. Your stitching looks great!

Catherine said...

What a sweet ornament! I love your AaHRH piece - I do like hat 356 much better, but like Siobhan's idea to leave the 921 you already stitched!

Denise said...

You are one busy girl! You always
have exquisite finishing.
As you are mentioning 'daffodils',
we had an inch of snow today....
Looking forward to more finishes!

merumo said...

You are ahead of everyone - stitching Christmas one! I like the idea of starting now to make it by when we really would like to see as finished... Your AaHRH is looking nice and I like your thread substitution. I enjoy playing with the colors and yours look absolutely beautiful!!

Karoline said...

Love the ornament, very cute

Your AaHRH is lovely, shame about the frogs

Dani - tkdchick said...

Congratson your ornament finish its lovely.

Keep plugging away at your WIPs

Jennifer said...

Lois I just had to tell you...I am sitting here on my couch looking at that same Brightneedle design you stitched for me and made into a standup! (No I have not put away my Christmas cross stitch yet!) It is so pretty and I love it! I know you will enjoy the ornament as much as I do! Thanks so much!