Tuesday, March 22, 2011

And it's a finish!!!!!

Hi everyone! Yes, a finish to report! BOAF’s Happy Hearts is completed! I put the final stitches in yesterday morning but waited until this morning to take pics in the hope that it might be a brighter day. It isn't. Although it is lovely and mild outside it is also cloudy and dull so, these pics are all taken with the flash. I have to say though, it does bring up more of the true colour of the fabric than when I don’t use the flash! Oh, and the two hands in the top left corner? In these pics it looks like they blend into the fabric but in 'real life' they are much more distinct.
BOAF's Happy Hearts Sampler stitched on 32ct LL Autumn Gold using WDW

I started stitching this with the intention of making it personal to my family. I liked that I could stitch our surname in place of the word ‘true’ which is in the original design in the top heart. I’ve added the initials of our three children, two of those are done in the hearts that were charted to have initials but then I wanted DS#2 to have his initials in a heart and did those in the one with the arrows.


Then in the entwined hearts are the initials of DH and me and below that is the year we were married (where have all those years gone?!?!?). I decided to add my parents’ initials under that and then under the heart at the top with our surname I’ve added my parents-in-law’s initials. I never had the pleasure of getting to know my FIL, he died many years ago when my DH was a young boy but my MIL was a lovely person who welcomed me into her family with open arms. It will be two years this summer since she passed away and she is still much missed.


I’m feeling a little bittersweet about having finished this one. A couple of weeks ago and I was feeling like I’d been stitching on it forever and yet now, here I am and I will miss working on it! This was one that had been in my stash for years so in that regard it feels good to have finally stitched it! Now to go and see whether I dip into my stash or I give in to the new BBD booklet ‘A Stitcher’s Journey’. It is proving more and more of a temptation except that I love it so much that I’m not sure what to pick first!

As always, thanks for dropping by my little part of the world! If you take the time to leave a comment, thank you! It is always so nice to hear from you all!

Until next time ……


42 comments:

Bertie said...

Wow Lois, it is a gorgeous sampler, congratulations,so lovely & bright like spring has sprung, well here it has, sorry to hear you're having clouds,the British weather is so unpredictable:)) I know the feeling when you enjoy stitching a sampler and don't want it to finish yet LOL.
Have a great day:))
Love to see what will be next-)

Sylvia said...

Congrats on that lovely finish - I wish BoaF was still designing, they had some wonderful things.

CATHI said...

My congratulations for that wonderful finish! :o)

Best wishes

Cathi

Lee said...

It's beautiful, Lois! And I love all of your personal touches.

Jane said...

Congratulations Lois on a gorgeous finish, I love the fact that it's full of sentiment to you and the colours are beautiful. Sussex was meant to be 17 degrees and sunny today ~ not much sign of it so far!!!

Michele said...

It's lovely! I love the personalizations!

Deborah said...

Beautiful! Love the personalization.

Cole said...

Gorgeous finish!

Anna van Schurman said...

Lovely. The personalization is terrific!

Carol said...

YAY!! You're finished, Lois! It looks just gorgeous and the personalization makes it even more special. Congratulations on a wonderful piece of work...

Can't wait to see what you stitch first from the new BBD book--I've just ordered mine and am not sure when it will arrive. I can't wait to see it based on everyone's rave reviews.

Hope the weather clears up over there--it is gray and gloomy here, too. Have a wonderful week, my friend :)

Catherine said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish! And it is so perfectly yours with all of your personalizations!

Sally said...

Congratulations on a stunning finish. It is simply beautiful:)

Katrina said...

Lois it's gorgeous and I love how you personalized it!!!!

pam said...

Lois it is lovely. You were so thoughtful in the personalization of the piece. Sometimes it is good to dig thru the stash and find an older piece that still calls your name.

Pam
www.confessionsofasouthernstitcher.blogspot.com

Babs in Alabama said...

It is done and it is beautiful! I love those colors and your personalization added just the right touch.
hugs, babs

Lisa x said...

gorgeous finish Lois, the colours are lovely on this piece
great use of personalisation, well done

Berit said...

Oh, it's too gorgeous!! Love your personalizations, too. :)

This is one chart that I must stop putting off adding to the ol' stash!

Edgar said...

A lovely finish, congrats. It has languished in my stash heap for a long time. But, your beauty inspires me to move it to the waiting pile.

Thanks!!

staci said...

Congrats on a brilliant finish Lois! I love your personal touches to it too :)

Jan said...

Lois, what a lovely tribute to your family! I think it is fabulous and I am always encouraging stitchers to personalize whenever they can! It makes the samplers/projects that much more meaningful!! Gorgeous!!

Beth said...

Wonderful stitching and your personalization has turned it into a priceless family heirloom...so many memories stitched in thread!

Teresa S. said...

Really lovely, Lois-and I love all the personalization you used!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Very pretty, Lois! I love how you personalized it.

Margaret said...

What a beautiful sampler! And the personalization makes it that much more special too!

Natalia said...

Congratulations on your finish, Lois !!! I love the end result and I think you made it all the more special with the personalization... You have to show us again when you frame it.

Lelia said...

congrats! it is fabulous ; )

valerie said...

Gorgeous finish! Congratulations! I love the personalization and you really made it into a family sampler.

Lisa V said...

Beautiful finish, and very personal and special to you.
LISA V

Myra said...

And it's gorgeous!!! I just love the colors in this one and your personalization makes it so special.

Andrea said...

Gorgeous finish Lois! Love the personalizations you did. This one was one of my favorites. Very special.
xoxo

Giovanna said...

Congrats on the great finish!

Denise said...

Such a masterpiece! The colors are lovely and making it a personal family sampler makes it all the more special.
We will all be looking forward to your next big project!
Many blessings...

Karin said...

Lois, congrats on the finish!!! It is stunning and I love the personalization you did!!!

Suzanne said...

Congratulations on such a beautiful finish! I do love the personal changes you made to it.

http://lasoffitta.canalblog.com said...

Beautiful finish!
My BOAF is progressing slowly
:)
Have you a great day
Nadia

Robin said...

What a beautiful sampler and I love all the personalizations that you added to it. Looking forward to see what you decide to stitch first from A Stitcher's Journal. (I've got my eye on the needle book pictured on the front.)

Karoline said...

It's gorgeous, congratulations

Sharon said...

It's a fabulous finish! Congrats!

Siobhan said...

WahOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Congratulations on the finish, Lois! It's beautiful. I love your personalizations. I can't wait to see what you choose to work on next!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Fantastic finish! Congratulations!

Sherry Smyth said...

Fabulous keepsake Lois!!!

TeresaB said...

I love how you made this sampler all your own and personalized it. Looks fantastic and I'm betting it will become a very prized family heirloom.