Friday, June 24, 2011

Progress and a couple of blasts from the past....

Hi everyone! BBD’s Glad Tidings is the one I have mostly been stitching on lately so here’s a progress pic. The leaves won’t remain like this, they are meant to be filled in with satin stitch so lots of satin stitching coming up in the not too distant future!

A finish to report….this is my chosen ornament for June, a Prairie Schooler chart, one that caught my eye when I was trying to decide which one to stitch for this month. This one I plan on sending off to be finished. Stitched using suggested fabric and DMC threads. I changed the lettering slightly. There's a K charted for under the H, I guess to fit in the space better, but being me,I had to go with the I so that the alphabet was 'right'!

Recently I saw Karen's finish of BC Buzzzz and it reminded me that I had this one stitched but had never done anything with it. I dug it out only to discover that I’d stitched this back in 2001!! Yes, 10 years ago!!! I sent this off to KarenV asking her to finish it as a long, narrow pillow. It arrived home today and I’m thrilled with what she’s done. She’s matched the colours perfectly and I love the little buttons she added. Thanks Karen for another great finishing job! The sun managed to shine for a little while this morning so the perfect opportunity for a picture taken outside!! Ready for another oldie?!?!?! This one was stitched in 2002!! I left this in to be framed when I picked up BOAF’s Happy Hearts Sampler. A Brightneedle design, Sweet Autumn Sampler, from way back. I’m not sure what linen I used but do know that it’s stitched with the suggested silks. This one sat for far too long in my finished pile and it’s good to finally get it framed and on display!

Hope all is well with you and yours. Thank you for all the great comments last time round. It’s always lovely to hear from everyone and I do appreciate you taking the time to leave them. Another weekend coming up, where does the time go. DH and I spent last weekend in Edinburgh visiting DS#1 who has been living and working there since March. The weather was awful…rain, rain and more rain …..but we had a good weekend. Great to be able to spend some time with DS#1 no matter what the weather’s like. No major plans for this weekend. I need to get moving on the June pillow from Nikyscreations and the 6th block from PS 12 Days of Christmas. I am way behind on those this month. Oh and add some tennis watching in there too from Wimbledon!

Until next time …..

33 comments:

Sherry Smyth said...

2001? 2002? How many pieces do you have to be finished at the framers or into other pieces??? No, don't answer that question!!! lol!!!

Ask me if I'm surprised you went with "I" instead of "K" -- no don't!!! It only makes sense to do "I" and you wouldn't be you if you didn't.

As always, I love your work and seeing what projects are on the go.

Happy Wimbledon!! xoxoxox

mainely stitching said...

Oh my heavens, what lovely stitching!!! :D I love the idea of framing things that have been done "forever" - I should follow your example!

pam said...

Great final finishes! We think we are done when the stitching is complete but they just lay around haunting us until they are finally framed or finished. Good job.

Stitchin' Sweet Sue said...

Hi Lois, luv your BBD, thx for mentioning the satin stitches, helps to know this. Sweet pillow too. Perfect frame for your BN, feels good doesn't it! Have a wonderful weekend.

Annie said...

What a lot of lovely stitching! You are just surrounded by beauty!

Have fun with that satin stitching. I always find it so difficult to get the threads to lay nicely side by side.

Michele said...

Looks great! I have Sweet Autumn in my pile for this fall.

Bertie said...

BBD is wonderful Lois, reading your blast from the past, be sure to fill in those leaves soon lol.
Karen made a wonderful job on your little pillow, such a great idea:)
Have never seen the BN sweet autumn, it's stunning and love the scattered alphabet.
Hope your weather will be good soon too, it's only just started shining here!
Have a great weekend :o))

ps shame Laura lost from Maria, she started of so well:) Come On Murray!!

Babs in Alabama said...

What a joy to read your blog today. Glad Tidings is looking so pretty; the pillow did turn out perfect; prairie schooler too. But I love your Bright Needle piece all framed. Beautiful work, happy blog!
hugs,
babs

Margaret said...

Love all your stitching! I wish I lived closer to KarenV -- she does such lovely finishing. You're so lucky to have her! That BN piece is wonderful too -- great framing!

Melissa said...

What a lot of lovely stitching! I love the framing too, and the finish Karen did for you!

Enjoy watching Wimbledon!

Deb said...

Your stitching is wonderful. Love the framing and really like the Brightneedle piece. I've never seen that before.

Giovanna said...

Love it all - well done!

Catherine said...

Everything looks wonderful!! Love the finishing touches Karen did for your!

Karen said...

Both look wonderful. I just love the framed piece. I am so jealous too...I love the lavendar fabric on your Buzzz...I looked high and lo to no avail. Karen did a fabulous job, as always! You inspire to dig a little deeper for some older stuff too!

Happy stitching...

valerie said...

Lovely stitching Lois! The BBD is really coming along and I like your June ornie pick!

The SB pillow came out wonderful! Karen V does such wonderful finishing!

The Brightneedle piece looks lovely as well!

Mouse said...

ohh lovely finishes :) and isn't it nice to get something framed at last ..lol good luck with the satin stitches for those leaves :) love mouse xxx

Christine said...

Lovely stitching and finishes, Karen did a wonderful job on Buzz

Katrina said...

Gorgeous eye candy!!!! Love your framed piece and buzz is too cute. The PS ornament is adorable and I always love anything BBD.

Lesleyanne said...

Lovely stitching and finishes. Karen did a lovely job on the pillow. Your framed piece looks great. I hope you are enjoying Wimbledon, I know I am. Stitching and tennis - couldn't be better.

Mary said...

Some great finishes there Lois even if they have been done for a while. Love the finishing on Buzz and only wish I was in England to get Karen to finish up some of my pieces.
Mary

Myra said...

Your stitching is just gorgeous! I love the Buzz pillow - those are my colors. :o)

Denise said...

Lois, you will soon have a sampler gallery - what lovely things to 'dig out' and have framed! Sweet Autumn Sampler & Glad Tidings are both fine examples of your talent.
I like the Christmas tree ornament, too (I agree with you about the 'i'....
Have a sunny weekend!

Brigitte said...

You've been doing some nice stitching on the BBD piece. And a great ornament finish.
Karen's finishing skills are fantastic, she created a wonderful little pillow.
I should also dive into my drawers and pull out some finished pieces and have them framed. Yours looks so loevly.

pj said...

Glad Tidings is one of my favorite pieces and yours is beautiful. I love the colors in this one and it makes me smile when I look at it. Great job! and glad you are getting alot finished and framed. pj

staci said...

Wonderful stitching! I love how your GT is turning out...have fun with the satin stitch (which happens to be the bane of my stitching existence!)

KarenV said...

Glad Tidings is coming along well Lois :) Love the BN framed piece and the little ornament - I think I might have subbed the I too ;) Glad you liked the pillow - I enjoyed finishing it for you :)

Carol said...

How sweet is that Buzz pillow, Lois! You and Karen did a great job :) And that Sweet Autumn Sampler is so cute--I've never seen it before (love that little creature in the flowerpot--is it a squirrel or a bunny?)...

I'm glad to hear you had the chance to visit Scotland in spite of the rain. We've had more than our share this past week, too! It sure doesn't seem like it is almost July!!

Enjoy your week, my friend, and I hope you find lots of time to stitch :)

Suzanne said...

Thank you for the kind comment you left on my blog.

You have some really nice projects going there. The ornament is lovely and Karen did a fantastic job of finishing the pillow.

Gabi said...

Glad Tidings is looking fantastic. So does your PS ornament. Your pillow looks great too. I love that cushion.
Like you, I'm a Wimbledon fan too. In couple of hours it starts and I will be glued to the tv :)

Sally said...

Glad Tidings is coming along beautifully. I love it.

Your PS ornament is lovely. I keep thinking I should do all the ones from the JCS ornament mags. Maybe next year!

Karen did a fantastic job finishing the pillow:)

Siobhan said...

You & Karen make a great team, Lois! I love the pillow. GREAT choice on the framing, too! LOL that you had it all that time and just now got it framed! It looks great.

Love the ornament, and the BBD is fantastic!

Karoline said...

Glad tidings is looking lovely, great progress and your ornament is lovely.

Your Buzz pillow is lovely and the Brightneedle sampler is gorgeous. It's always good to be reminded that I'm not the only one with deep drawers of unfinished finishes.

WendyJo said...

Glad tidings is so pretty. I really love the "Buzz" pillow...so pretty. The Brightneedle sampler is lovely as well.