Friday, September 23, 2011

A froggy came a-calling….

Let’s keep the whole ‘frog thing’ to later on in this post I think! First up? This one.

Marie Suarez Bobines Cherie stitched on 32ct natural and white using suggested DMC

I stitched this as a birthday gift and, as it has now been received, I can share it here. This was a fun stitch, first time I’ve attempted something like this and I thought it was a cute way to hold your scissors. The stitching is over one and attaching it to the wooden bobbin was much more straightforward than I thought. Now the little fob?!?!? That was a bit more fiddly but I got there!

Next up is my Christmas ornament for August. I did have this stitched in August but thought I’d wait and share until I had it all completed. This is Holiday Spirit by Samplerbird Stitchery and I sent it to KarenV to finish it in a tree shape for me. Another lovely job by Karen, this is how it looked when she returned it to me

and this is how I finished it…

Holiday Spirit by Samplerbird Stitchery (found here) on white 32ct with CC Bandana & Mill Hill beads

The little flowerpot I found in Hobbycraft when we were in England in July. I decided to keep going with the white and red theme so painted this white and attached the ribbon.

All was going well with Three Crows until I started the satin stitch border. Has anyone else stitched this one and found that the satin stitch border was a pain in the neck or was it just me?!?!?! Having frogged twice – now in reality I didn’t get that far each time, just a couple of triangles and then I’d discover I was ‘off’ – I realised that if I wasn’t going to be completely bald from tearing my hair out I needed to think about this logically and come at it from a different angle. I decided to do some basting lines and that has made my life much easier! This is what I did first of all.



A line for the top of the triangle, a line for where each triangle started and finished and then a line for the middle so I would know I was spot on for the longest satin stitch.
And this is where I am now (and hopefully the frog has gone on its merry way!) …


The basting lines have made all the difference so if you’re ever stitching this one and the satin stitch border is doing your head in, this might work for you too.

Another weekend almost here! Where do the weeks go?!?!?! Wishing you all a good weekend. Thanks for dropping by and I hope all is well in your part of the world.

Until next time …..

32 comments:

Margaret said...

Love the present you made -- how clever and useful! The ornament came out great too! Bummer about the frogging. You would think the satin stitch wouldn't cause so much of a problem. It looks great though!

natalyK said...

Love your little tree ornie and the scissor stand is a very clever idea. As for Satin stitched borders they do get tricky as some threads lie under you stitching. It usually requires lots of counting to get it just right. I am glad you persisted, it looks lovely.

CATHI said...

The tree is so beautiful! Congrats!

Best wishes

Cathi

Giovanna said...

I'm in love with that bobbin - wonderful! Sorry about the frogging, but what a smart solution, and it's looking great.

Deborah said...

I really love the scissor bobbin. What a wonderful idea. Where did you find the bobbin? Your tree ornie is also very clever. The crows are looking good.

Nuria said...

Preciosos los tres! bravísimo!!
Nuria - La Casina Roja

Annie said...

Super cute scissors holder. Did you already have that bobbin?

The tree in the pot is just adorable.

Satin stitch borders are just too much trouble for me to ever bother with. Yours does look very nice though!

Mouse said...

oooo got one of those bobbins and you took the idea right out of my wiskers ..lol ... cute tree and well done on the satin stitch with the basing threads :) love mouse xxxx

KarenV said...

I really love what you did with the tree Lois, the pot is just perfect! I shall definitely have to spruce up my little pots for this year - I love the ribbon bow :)

Love your spool scissor holder - what a clever idea. Sorry about all the ripping on Three Crows - I'm not sure I had any problems when I did mine although it was a while ago - but the basting is a great idea and now you're nearly done!

Lesleyanne said...

I love the idea of the scissor holder - it is really lovely. I love your tree in a pot - it is gorgeous. Bummer about the frog visit.

Berit said...

Love the scissors' holder; great idea for frog-banishment! :D I my mind when I imagine stitching 3 crows I have this idea that I will just cross stitch the triangles. I wonder if I really would.

Siobhan said...

Lois!! Oh my goodness. You are a master finisher. What a neat idea for the bobbin scissor holder. I love the ornament, too. Great job!

Ugh on the need for frogging. I hate that, and having to baste--but basting is a much better alternative. ;) Hope it goes smoothly for you now!

Sherry Smyth said...

You are so clever to figure out the basting would help. And I love how you made the ornament into a tree...using all your creative juices these days! ♥

Sally said...

Oh wow I love that bobbin and the teeny fob! They are gorgeous.

Karen finished your ornament so beautifully.

Sorry you had to from Three Crows. I hope it goes much better now you've basted some lines.

pam said...

love the way that pain of a border is turning out! Carry on

Catherine said...

Great finishes!! I really love the bobbin!!

Sorry about the frogs, glad to see that you have found a way to trick them. I really like this piece!

Carol said...

Such darling finishes, Lois--I adore the spool and the teeny, tiny fob. I'm sure your friend just loves it. Where did you get the giant spool?

The tree ornament is so sweet--what a brilliant idea to use the little flower pot to hold it upright. I may have to "borrow" that in the future.

Glad you've resolved your crow piece problems... Looks like the basting lines really worked. Another idea I'll have to remember.

Hope you have a relaxing weekend :)

valerie said...

I love that bobbin and fob finish! You did a great job with it! I love the tree ornie too. Karen did a great job and I love the red/white pot you put it in!

Your crows piece looks great. Sorry to hear the satin border gave you some trouble.

Penny said...

I love the scissor bobbin. What a cute way to finish Holiday Spirit, I love it! Three Crows is looking great - it looks like your solution to the frogs is working.

Myra said...

Wonderful finishes Lois. That spool is just awesome and you were so clever to use the little flower pot for the tree.

Great idea to keep those frogs at bay.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Beth said...

Great tree ornament - so clever to finish it up with the little pot. Basting is an awesome idea - frogging is such a downer!

Jane said...

Oh, what beautiful things you've made Lois, I've never seen the wooden bobbin before and the christmas tree in the little pot is very cute!
I've just encountered 'satin' stitch when I did the L*K Travelling Pattern and I must admit it did take a bit of getting used to. I was attempting using a light thread on a light fabric ~ hopeless ~ so changed it for a darker thread and found it much easier. I kept looking at the reverse side as it was much easier to spot a mistake that way.
Have a good week xxx

Kathy Ellen said...

Your beautifully stitched scissor holder and little fob are just marvelous! Where did you find that wonderful wooden spool?

What a special finish with that cute little white pot and ribbon for your Christmas tree! I love your Three Black Crows too. I know what you mean about the frustration with ripping out those satin stitches, but love your great idea of basting in some guidelines!

Thank you for sharing, and enjoy your weekend.

Valerie said...

What a lovely present! The bobbin is adorable. I really like the tree ornament and the way you finished it!

I know what you mean about satin stitch borders giving you a headache. Thanks for the basting tip...I have used basting lines before but I never thought about them for satin stitch...great idea!

Bertie said...

Beautiful Bobbin Lois, I saw this on the French Fair in Paris but have never put anything around it, you give me inspiration!
Yes the satin stitch took me a while to figure out and frogging seems to be the norm on that stitch! but it looks like you mastered it:))
The ornament is lovely, looks very prim, fabulous.

Suzanne said...

Wow, the bobbin is such a pretty gift. I am sure your recipient loved it. The tree looks amazing. I have wanted to give one of these a go for some time, but I have been a little too nervous to give it a try. Me and strange shapes don't get on together.

The crows are looking great, but sorry you have been shaving such a time with it. Satin stitch borders can really cause headaches.

nathalie-poppy said...

Hi my dear !!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS for those nice works !!!!!!
Tey're just ... BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!
hugs

Katrina said...

Cute tree and I love the scissor holder too!!!! Aren't you smart, glad your satin stitches are working up properly now :-).

Karoline said...

They're all looking lovely, great progress on the crows

Carol R said...

Lovely finishes Lois. Did the large bobbin come with the Marie Suarez at a kit?

Dani - tkdchick said...

What lovely little finsihes, Karen did a fantastic job for you!

Love the satin stitch border on the crows

Michelle said...

Love the little tree finish Karen V. did for you! And the spool scissor holder is fantastic. The border for your crows is gorgeous!!