Friday, January 6, 2012

New Year, new start .. just not on the 1st....

Hi everyone!  New Year, new start?  Not quite…… I had plans, January 1st I was going to put the first stitches in BBD’s Christmas Garden (the chart and threads arrived with perfect timing on December 31st) but I got a little sidetracked and only started this one yesterday. 

I’m going with the suggested CC (loving Calico Kitty, first time I’ve used this colour) but have changed the fabric.  In an attempt to start to work through my fabric stash I’ve gone with some 32ct Lakeside Linen. Not sure of the colour (note to self, start pining the name to fabrics!!!!) I’d err on the side of Examplar, maybe Light Examplar. 

Something else that arrived with perfect timing.  On December 24th I received a lovely surprise in the mail from Carol at Stitching Dreams.  Inside was the most gorgeous PS Santa stitched over one and some pretty fabric which will soon be put to good use!  Others have talked about Carol’s over one stitching and how exquisite it is and I can certainly agree with them.  It is just perfect and I was thrilled to be able to hang this ornament on our tree in time for Christmas.  Thank you Carol!  If any of you aren’t yet familiar with Carol’s blog do click here or you’ll find her in my sidebar, and go meet Carol and read her wonderful blog.

After Christmas I did go back to this one, my poor, neglected BBD LF Autumn. 

I don’t think I’d put a stitch in it for almost a month and, given that the final part is now released, I reckoned I needed to get going on it again.  Not much progress (can you tell there wasn’t much stitching going on in my house over Christmas and New Year?!) but having picked it up again I plan on trying to keep working on it and Christmas Garden (maybe 2012 is going to be the year I finally conquer rotation!).

As for New Year resolutions.  I tend not to make them in my day-to-date life but I do like to set some stitchy ones. Only one monthly stitching commitment, and while it’s not going to be exclusively Christmas ornaments it will be on a Christmas theme.  I’m thinking PS Santas and a couple of ornaments in the mix.  I do want to try and show a little restraint as regards stash enhancement.  Using more of the fabric from my stash is top of that list, resisting the ‘must have straightaway’ (online shopping is way too easy!!) urge and, if I don’t have a thread colour, check if there is an alternative I can use that I already have.   Hmmmmm, lets see how I get with those ideas!

And so here we are into another year.  I do want to say thank you to everyone for their continued visits to my blog, to those who take the time to leave a comment and for the encouragement and friendship that have been part and parcel of being a blogger. When I started I never imagined that anyone, other than a few people, would take time to drop by and it still amazes me that so many people pop in to see what I’ve been up too!

Hope all is well with you and yours. May 2012 be a year of health, happiness and lots of stitching!

Until next time ……   

30 comments:

Gabi said...

Gorgeous start of your Christmas Garden. I'll start mine soon too. :)
What a gorgeous Santa you received. Just lovely.
Your BBD Summer/Autumn looks great too.
Good luck with your resolutions. Sounds to me like a perfect idea.

Katrina said...

Happy, happy new year!!!! Love your start and the loose feather piece, both are just gorgeous. I need to get mine out too :-).

Melanie said...

Your start on Christmas Garden is really lovely. I've just started working on BBD LF Summer since Winter has just been released. Good luck on your resolutions and keeping to them :)

Chris said...

Wonderful start for the new year.
The BBD is looking great.
What a wonderful gift from Carol.
Stitching friends are wonderful.
Happy 2012.

Carol said...

I'm so glad you liked my little Santa ornament, Lois--I really enjoyed making him for you And you are so sweet to compliment my stitching :)

I think your Christmas Garden looks just gorgeous so far--will look forward to watching it grow. Good luck with your 2012 Christmas stitching and using more of the fabric from your stash... I should do that myself...

Will email soon--happy new year, my friend!!

Margaret said...

Happy 2012! Your Christmas Garden looks great so far! I'm interested by that Calico Kitty color too. And your other BBD -- gorgeous! Good to see you working on it again! Love the Santa from Carol too. Good stitchy resolutions! I need to use my linens up too.

Denise said...

Happy New Year, Lois!
Looks like you have your work cut out for you for the new year. The BBD
Christmas will be lovely.
I am so far behind with my stitching
plans...I just keep adding on something else I want to stitch.
Wishing you the best!

valerie said...

Your start on Christmas Garden looks great! I am sure it will be a fun project to stitch on throughout the year. And the Autumn BBD is really coming along!

The Santa ornie from Carol is wonderful. It's so tiny!

Happy New Year to you!

Keeper of the Crowes said...

Lois, had to smile when I read your blog today. Your life seems to be mirroring mine!! I too got very little, if any, stitching done over the holidays and now I'm trying to get a rotation thing going. Christmas Garden and Loose Feathers are what I'm working on, as well. I love your start on Christmas Garden. Keep the progress pictures coming!!!!
Linda

robindefender said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bertie said...

The Santa is gorgeous Lois, lovely to receive presents, especially when stitched over one!!
Oh yes that BBD is staring me in the eye too, but I will not get sidetracked lol.
Nice progress on Summer/Autumn!
May 2012 bring you and your family all you wish for:))

Mouse said...

ooooo love your Christmas garden ...why do they always bring something out sooo yummy when your list has gone to santa ????. well done on your goals list and I hope you manage to achieve them too and happy stitchy new year to you too :) love mouse xxxx

Catherine said...

Great projects! I love BBD - saw the Christmas one at the market in Baltimore and it's a stunning finish!
Lovely gift from Carol! She's so sweet and does such beautiful work, doesn't she?!?

Jackie said...

Your Christmas Garden start is lovely. Your fabric choice is awesome! I've only been slightly interested in this one but seeing your picture is making it tough...

MoonBeam said...

I think this is my first time visiting your blog. At first glance I know we have something in common...BBD! I have slightly more than you done on Autumn LF...had hoped to finish it before Winter arrived. Oh well.

I wasn't going to buy Christmas Garden, but there was such a buzz on so many blogs that I gave in. I am considering using Manor Red instead of Calico Kitty, but have to mull it over for a while before I commit.

You're off to a great start. Can't wait to see more.

Bobbi

Christine said...

Great new start and a lovely gift from Carol

Siobhan said...

Love the new start! I'm anxious to get going on mine but need to finish a few things first. Same with your LF--LOVE it! Oh, the temptation! :)

Great gift from Carol! She is so talented with her over one.

Sharon said...

Pretty start on Christmas Garden. Your gift is just beautiful!

Melissa said...

Oh, you lucky ducky, what a beautiful ornament from Carol. I cannot imagine how exquisite that over one must be (are you reading this Carol? lol).

Lovely BBD start. I have this one too but need to pick my linen. Like you I will use something from my stash.

Happy New Year, Lois!

Jane said...

I love your BBD stitches Lois, they are so pretty and I shall enjoy watching your progress during 2012!
Your ornament from Carol is lovely, a gift to treasure xxx

Brigitte said...

You were doing great last year with finishing the Prairie Schooler wreath and all the monthly ornaments. And your new start is just beautiful. Great choice. But what can I say - it's a BBD.
Your resolution sounds great to me. And stitching from what you have is always a good plan (but it can't keep us from adding some new things to our stash from time to time, lol).

Krista said...

Love your new start. Christmas Garden will be gorgeous! Happy Stitching and Happy New Year!

Sally said...

Your new start is so pretty Lois. It looks like it is going to be absolutely gorgeous. I just love those colours.

Nice progress on your LF. At least you're well on with yours. I haven't even started mine yet! Lol! Hopefully this year!

What a gorgeous ornament you received from Carol.

Penny said...

Christmas Garden is such a pretty sampler and you are off to a lovely start! And darn it!! - the more I see the BBD LF actually stitched, the more I'm thinking about it. :)
Beautiful ornament from Carol!

Giovanna said...

Lovely start on CG! I started mine too and I'm loving it. Great going on the LF project too, and cute Santa gift.

Mindi said...

Great start on Christmas Garden, and its always great to stitch with supplies you have.

The Santa from Carol is gorgeous!

Suzanne said...

Lovely start on Christmas Garden, it's such a pretty design. I love the gift from Carol. Good stitching resolutions!

Karoline said...

Great new start & Loose feathers is looking gorgeous.

Hilda said...

Dear Lois,
thank you so much for your visit and kind comment on my blog!

You already started with "Christmas Garden"! I love this wonderful design - it is on my todo-list for this year too. I am just waiting for most of the threads.

Looking forward to see your progresses (for both BBD-projects - because the LF is also one of my WIPs)!!
Have a nice weekend full of wonderful stitching time!

Hilda

Bonnie said...

Just stumbled upon your blog. Love your sampler. You sure get a lot of projects done.