Saturday, February 9, 2013

One of those 'this, that & the other' posts!


Hi everyone!  A little heart-themed finish to start off this time round.  I have to admit that I started to stitch this freebie (that you can find here) over a year ago. I came across the frame and bought it thinking that I was bound to have a chart somewhere in my stash that might work with it.  Then I didn’t manage to finish it in time last February, then I guess I lost the motivation to stitch a heart, then it got pushed out of sight….you get the picture!  This week I finally got my act together, finished the stitching and got it into the frame.  So, that’s the grand total of one Valentine-related piece of stitching I’ve managed this year!

 Alphabet Heart by Twisted Threads found here

This is how far I’ve got with La D Da’s By Her Hand.


I think subconsciously I am still avoiding the flowers after the frogging that went on with the first one.  Well, I’m not going to be able to avoid them for much longer as I only have the numbers to stitch and then I’ll just have to knuckle down and stitch some flowers!

However, I’ve put it to one side to pick up A Sampler Story and make a start on the two squares for this month.  Here’s my progress so far…..


This square is the only one that is completely filled in.  I was tempted to put it off  and stitch the next two top squares but then I thought, no, get it stitched and out of the way.   The fourth square looks like it will be a quick stitch so it should all balance out.

It looks as though this coming week my Mum will finally be going home.  She has been away from home for most of the past 6 months between hospital and nursing home stays, hip surgery in December and these past 6 weeks in the rehab unit.  Her recovery from surgery has been slow but this past week she seemed to turn a corner and became much more interested in walking and being on her feet.  Right now the only delay to her getting home is getting a care package in place but that should be worked out at the start of the week.  There have been many times over these past months that I thought it might never happen but here we are.  Never mind how pleased I am about it, you can guess my Dad is very much looking forward to her being home with him again.

And that’s about it from me for this time.   Hope all is well with you and yours.  If you’re under all that snow that we’ve been hearing about on the news today I hope you are staying warm and, if there’s nothing else you can do, enjoying some stitching time.

Until next time…..

24 comments:

Vickie said...

God bless your mother and father! Together at last.♥

Beth said...

Lois - How funny, I looked at the Ewe & Eye & Friends / Twisted Thread heart freebie design last night and wondered what it might look like stitched up. It is very, very nice! I think I'll add it to be To Be Stitched list.

Bertie said...

Nice progress on the sampler story Lois! I do love the little heart and the frame!
Best wishes for your mum!

Catherine said...

Great news for your mum! Hope all continues to go well.
Love all of your projects!

Tommye said...

I love your Valentine finish. Well done.

So happy about your mom going home. Such a happy change for everyone.

Margaret said...

Wow, that heart frame is perfect for that piece! Love all your stitching - Hope you can tackle the flowers in the La D Da piece better this time. Love Sampler Story too. And such good news about your mom! Yay!

Katrina said...

Sweet finish and I love the La-D-Da piece!!!!! So glad your mom is finally coming home :-).

Mary said...

Hi Lois! What a sweet finish, just in time for Valentine's Day!The little frame suits your stitching as if it were designed for that piece exactly. And I'm in love with the other two pieces as well.

How great to hear such good news about both your parents. No doubt they're both more comfortable now, and all 3 of you can return to some semblance of a normal routine.

Jackie said...

Very happy to hear your mom will be going home soon!

Love your Valentine's finish - you certainly have the perfect frame!

Siobhán said...

I'm so glad to hear that your mom will be going home soon! I hope she and your dad take the adjustment with ease.

Your Valentine's finish and stitching WIPs are so pretty! You go girl! You've gotten a lot done even with all the extra stuff going on.

Fiona said...

Great stitching and wonderful news about your Mum.

Chris said...

Love the finish Lois!
Lovely progress too.
Great to hear that your Mom will be back home soon.

Melissa said...

I'm so glad your mom will be able to go home now and they'll be back together again, and you'll get a break too!

Love all the stitching, especially the little framed heart. It's just perfect!

Mouse said...

ooooo it looks fab in that frame :) have stitched that but made it into a wee cushion for Sally ....
well done on the progress with your wip too ...
glad your mum is making good progress too and hope you get the care package sorted for her as well :) love mouse xxxxxx

Amy said...

Your stitching is beautiful.

Myra said...

I am glad to hear your mom is doing better. That frame is perfect! Is it tin? Just fabulous.

Carol said...

What wonderful news about your mom coming home, Lois--I'm sure it will help both your mom and dad immensely just to be together again :)

Your little heart finish looks so wonderful in that adorable frame--I love it!! Nice progress on your WIPs, too.

We missed the snow completely this time--so very lucky!! Enjoy your week, my friend!

valerie said...

Love your Valentine finish. The frame is just perfect for it! Great wips too. Such wonderful news that your mom is doing better and able to go home soon. I am sure your mom and dad will be so happy to be reunited at home again.

Giovanna said...

Lovely stitching, and what great news about your mother - so glad to read that :-)

Dani - tkdchick said...

Beautiful finish that frame is made for it!

Denise said...

I know you have been super busy
looking after both parents - so glad
that you are finally getting some
positive news!
Your stitching, as usual, is amazing
and I always love the colors.
The weather is wet in my part of the US - much better than all that snow up north!
Hope you are nice & dry!

Brigitte said...

That's a great stitched and framed Valentine heart, it looks gorgeous. Nice progress on your WIPs.
So good to read the news about your mom. Your dad must be more than happy to have her home again.

Anne said...

Lois you sound like me when it comes to finishing a Valentine's design! I finally put together one I stitched two years ago! I have this heart freebie and actually printed it to stitch it, haven't though. Yours is beautiful and the frame is perfect. Lovely progress on your WIP's. Good to hear that your mom is back home with your Dad.

Karoline said...

Glad to hear your Mother is coming home, it must be a great relief to everyone.

Your Valentines finish is lovely and your wips are looking great