Wednesday, March 27, 2013

New starts.....


Hi everyone!  It’s been a while.  The day after I last blogged my parents were involved in a car accident.  My father was at fault, the car in front of him stopped very suddenly and, even though he put the brakes on, he wasn’t able to avoid running into the back of it.  The car he ran into didn’t have much damage but my father’s car did, to the point that it was not worth fixing. My parents themselves were badly shaken and very sore for a number of days but fortunate that it was no worse.  So, as quickly as that, my father’s driving days were over.  At 95 it was time really that he was no longer driving although, this was the first accident he ever had in over 70 years of being behind the wheel.  Well, that changed everything, these past years they always used still having their independence with the car as the reason why they could stay home.  As you know, since last summer it has been one thing after another for them and I have spent many days driving the 120 mile round trip but this really was the thing that meant they needed to move closer to me.  Funny how things turn out, the very first residential care home I enquired at, and one which my parents knew of and had always heard good things about,  had a married couple’s flat becoming vacant mid-March.   It is about 10 mins drive from our house and they moved in two weeks ago.  They are still adjusting, it will take a while, but I am hoping that they will settle and realise that this is a positive move for them.  As for me, I’m still finding it very strange for my days not to revolve hours driving in the car!

As for stitching. As soon as I saw Paulette’s Red Cottage release I knew it was one that I had to add to my stash and move to the top of the ‘to do’ pile.  I’m loving this one and here’s my progress so far. I’m stitching it on the suggested Vintage Meadowlark although in 32ct and the suggested DMC instead of the NPI’s.



My plans for my monthly stitching of A Sampler Story have taken something of a back seat these past weeks.  I do have some progress to share, in that I have finished the 3rd and 4th blocks.  Stitching of the two blocks for March hasn’t started yet so I’m going to be way behind on that but I’m being nice to myself and not beating myself up over it!!!



Then here is La D Da’s By Her Hand.  This one was put to the one side once PSS Red Cottage arrived so I still have the personalisation to do. 



Now that my days are no longer revolving driving up and down to my parents I’m hoping to pick up the threads of my life again which will include getting back to visiting and commenting on blogs.  So often this past while when I had so little time to myself I found I just wanted to pick up my stitching, even if it was only for half an hour, rather than spend time on the computer.  I’m more than ready to be on here more now though!

Easter seems to have crept up on me this year.  We’re not having much Spring-like weather having had heavy snow last weekend that is still lying around.  DS#1 and DS#2 are coming home for the Easter weekend so I’m looking forward to that as we haven’t seen them since Christmas.  Whatever your plans this coming weekend hope it’s a lovely one.

Until next time…..

26 comments:

Bertie said...

Good to hear from you Lois and glad nothing serious happened to your parents! Much better to have them near you.
Love your stitching on red cottage, it's a lovely piece. The other bits are lovely too.
Keep warm and have a lovely Easter despite the weather we are experiencing;)))

Chris said...

So sorry to hear about the accident but thankful that your parents are ok. I know that this is a hard adjustment for them.
Your stitching is just gorgeous. I love your Red House start.
Have a lovely weekend with your family.

Margaret said...

I'm so glad the accident was no worse than it was! And what serendipity that that couple's flat opened at just the right time. I hope your parents end up loving being there. It sounds like it was time, and now they are so close by, which is great! All my best wishes for them as they adjust.

I love all your stitching! I want to stitch Paulette's piece too! Definitely don't beat yourself up over keeping up with Sampler Story. You should go at the pace that suits you. It's gorgeous so far! Poor La D Da piece. It will get done. :D

Vickie said...

Glad your parents are okay, and close now.
Beautiful stitching. A Happy, Blessed Easter to you.

Julie M said...

Welcome back and I am so happy that your folks weren't seriously injured. It's a big life change for them to no longer have their independence and it will be a big adjustment for your father. I'm glad that this change will allow you to pick up the threads of your life.

Beautiful stitching! Paulette's red cottage is sure a popular piece! Understandable since it's so dang cute! Love your Sampler Story also!

Sherry said...

Picking up the threads of your life -- sums it all up so beautifully. And I love this red cottage!!

Cole said...

I'm glad everything's ok with your parents. They'll settle in and start enjoying the new place, and being so close to you too!

Red Cottage is a beautiful piece, nice start!

dixiesamplar said...

Oh my, Lois, so glad to hear that your parents were not seriously harmed in their accident. And I am sure that they will grow quite comfortable in their new home, especially since it puts them that much closer to you.

Lovely stitching going on amidst all the upheaval as well...love the PSS piece especially!

Best of luck to you and your parents in your new life changes.

Katrina said...

I am so glad no one was seriously injured in the accident. I know it must be difficult to lose a degree of independence but I hope your parents settle in and thrive in their new home.

Gorgeous stitching, I love the red house too :-)!!!!!

Giovanna said...

I'm glad that your parents weren't hurt, and that you found new accommodation for them so close to you. That's a great start to Red Cottage, what a lovely project. A Happy Easter to all of you.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

What lovely WIPS you have going. And although a traumatic time, I'd say the end result sounds best for your parents and for you! I wish you many hours of contentment getting back to your stitching rather than driving :)

Beth said...

New starts for everyone! I hope your parents are able to adjust. I know my grandmother had a terribly difficult time of it when she was no longer able to drive. Lovely stitching going on.

Deb said...

Thank goodness your parents weren't hurt!! I know that it will take a while for your parents to adjust, but hopefully it won't take too long.

Love your new starts, especially Red Cottage. But the other two are just as wonderful.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's funny how things work out isn't it. I do like your Sampler Story, it's very appealing.

Mary said...

It's so good to have you back again Lois! I do believe that change generally happens for the bes, even though at times it's very hard to see it. I'll keep your parents in my thoughts.

Funny how comforting a needle and floss can be, isn't it? Can't wait to see the next monthly block comes to life.

Mouse said...

good grief your dad deserves a medal with the length of time driving and no accident .. and glad they have moved nearer to you as it will be a great help for you...
love paulette's new chart :) and so pleased you are enjoying stitching it :) love mouse xxxxx

valerie said...

I am so glad that your parents were not injured in the car accident but it must be a relief to have them a little closer to you now. You can visit more often without having to spend so much time driving. I find driving to be stressful. Love your Red Cottage start. Sampler Story and By Her Hand are coming along nicely. Hope you and yours have a nice Easter holiday!

Lesleyanne said...

Beautiful stitching. So pleased your parents have moved nearer to you and weren't injured too badly in the car accident. Enjoy your extra spare time now that you won't be driving so far.

Carol said...

So many big changes in both your parents and your life, Lois. I'm so relieved they have moved closer to you and I'm sure they will adjust soon. As long as they are together and close to you, that's what's important.

Wonderful that you have found some time to stitch again...Everything looks wonderful and Red Cottage is so "you!"

Wishing you a lovely Easter weekend with your sons--I know how much you've missed seeing them!

Anna van Schurman said...

Love your La D Da piece. Glad your parents are okay and now nearby. It will be for the best. :)

Catherine said...

Glad your parents are okay ~ seems like it was meant to be that they are closer to you ~ hope they adjust and settle in quickly.
Lovely stitches!

Karoline said...

Glad to hear your parents are OK & I hope that they are settling in we'll to their new flat.

Gorgeous new start, I love that design as well. Your other wips are looking lovely

Anne said...

That must have given you quite the fright! I'm glad your parents are okay and that they are settling in their new place nicely. Lovely new starts Lois! I'm really loving Paulette's new designs too!

Fiona said...

Great stitching. Glad your parents were not hurt in the accident. They were fortunate that the accommodation became available at the right time.

Thao Cantu said...

I feel sorry for what happened to your father. Accidents can happen to anybody at any time. No matter how professional or careful you are, you are not exempted. Anyway, I think your father and the other driver were both at fault, but of course, no one wanted that to happen. The good thing about this is that only the car took the damage and that no one was badly hurt.

-Thao Cantu

Maggie Malone said...

He’s still driving at 95 years old? Wow. And no accidents in 70 years; that in itself is commendable. Hopefully they can find someone who can drive for them when they need to go somewhere. While commuting might be optimal at this point, nothing beats the comfort of having your own vehicle to get around town.

Maggie