Friday, June 21, 2013

Another find, another treasure.....

Hi everyone!  I know, don’t pass out in shock, another post from me a week later?!?!?!  How long is it since I’ve managed that?!?!?!?!  First of all, thanks for all your lovely comments and thoughts on what to do with my grandmother’s handwork.  I am definitely going to pursue the idea of a shadowbox with a dark background as I think that would look stunning.  Another very special treasure from my grandmother in a moment.

First of all though, I want to share my personalised finish of PSS’s Red Cottage.  I had wanted to stitch something for my daughter and now son-in-law to mark their marriage.  I had planned to do it as a surprise but who am I kidding, my daughter knows me well and, even though I hadn’t mentioned stitching them anything she had wondered if I would! When they saw it they loved it but I hadn’t personalised it so I got to that this week!!!  We won’t be seeing them until August so that should be plenty of time to have it framed and take with us.  My framer can sometimes be very slow but I’m going to emphasise that I need it by the start of August and keep my fingers crossed!!!


PSS Red Cottage on 32ct LL Vintage Meadow Rue using suggested threads

Only a little bit of progress on A Sampler Story to share…..



I really enjoyed stitching this block and the next one will be a fun stitch too.

Look what I found in an old metal trunk in my parents’ roofspace.  My grandmother’s wedding veil. My mother keeps a photograph of her parents on their wedding day on her dressing table and as soon as I unwrapped this I recognised it.  I had no idea she had this. 



Here’s another picture, a close up of the cap and the little headband plus a separate piece of lace. I am assuming this is from her wedding dress.  It is in quite a fragile state so I will have to keep it wrapped up and in a drawer but I love that I found this. 



In going through some old photographs I found this one of my grandparents on their wedding day.  The dress itself was coffee coloured hence the darker colour lace with the gold through it. I’m guessing this would have been more coffee coloured at the time.  I’m not sure who the other people are.  I need to check with my mother. 


I’ve had a strange old week.  Not a lot of stitching going on as my father ended up in hospital for two days.  His doctor sent him to the hospital to have some routine checks done to have on file only they found his bloodwork was totally out of whack and seemed to be indicating he could have a heart attack at any time.  That was it…..he was admitted to be monitored!!!  He’s now back home and seems to be doing okay.  He has been put on some new heart medication and they hope that will improve things.  Meanwhile my dad couldn’t understand what the whole fuss was about because he felt fine!!!!!!

Another weekend coming up.  Whatever you’re planning hope it’s a good one!


Until next time…..

29 comments:

Chris said...

Gorgeous PSS finish. I really love the colors.
I love the family finds and the wonderful pic of your grandparents.
Hoping that your Dad is home and in good health soon.

Bertie said...

Oh I do love your red cottage Lois, and the sampler story is growing!
A gorgeous find, lace is so delicate and to find it in a good state is so lucky. The picture is so nice too.
Good to hear your father is fine again:) Have a wonderful weekend!

Vickie said...

What a lovely gift you have made the newlyweds.
That is such a special treasure you have found. How wonderful.
We are going through heart complications with my mother also. She believes she is "fine", she is not.

Catherine said...

Great stitches!!! So wonderful that you found that veil ~ and even nicer that you have the picture!! Treasures for sure!!
Glad that your dad is okay ~ love that he didn't like he fuss!

Margaret said...

Oh that's scary about your father! I do hope they caught whatever was wrong -- must have been hard on your dad though since he felt fine. I love the pic of your grandparents' wedding! What a special find to find your grandmother's wedding veil and the lace! Wow! So cool! I love how you personalized Red House for the happy couple too. What a great wedding present for them! Sampler Story looks great too!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Wonderful PSS finish to personalize for a wedding! Love it!!
Awesome treasure that veil is!
I hope your dad continues to do well!!!

Keeper of the Crowes said...

Oh my, Lois, what treasures! Not only the beautiful piece you made for your daughter but your grandmother's picture and veil!!! Fabulous!!! So glad to hear that your father is okay. That must have been quite the scare.

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

beautiful stitching Lois, i dont know how you manage to keep your stitching looking so pressed and clean - great vintage find on the veil i havnt seen a veil in that kind of style before, would make a great display piece next to the photo, no? its difficult looking after elderly parents, they keep you on your tipytoes with their illnesses - enjoy your weekend, Amanda

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Red Cottage is lovely the colours are so muted and soft. Looking back at old family photos is fun and stirs up so many memories.

Melissa said...

Lois, I am glad your father is fine. It must've been quite a scare. How wonderful you found your grandma's wedding veil - very pretty too.

Love Red Cottage. It's on my to-do list. I noticed, ahem, that you didn't do the little house. I was thinking of skipping that too due to the over one and I am glad to see yours look just great without it.

Sampler Story is looking great! Enjoy your weekend. Hope you get some sunshine!

Penny said...

It's good that they could catch a potential problem early with your father. Hope he is doing better. Your grandmother's veil is just beautiful! And what a lovely wedding picture! I love your personalized Red Cottage!

Cath said...

Gorgeous stitches ,and what a beautiful find . A real treasure indeed .X

slsmyth said...

I do love the piece the H chose - it's just perfect for them!

And the find in the trunk...oh my!! Having seen your grandparents' wedding photo and then recognizing the head piece when you found it? True treasure!!! xoxo

Deborah said...

The veil is such a treasure. Love the PPS finish. A lovely wedding sampler. Hope your dad is on the mend.

valerie said...

So glad that your father is doing ok! How scary! Your Red Cottage finish is so pretty and a lovely memory of your daughter's wedding. I am sure that they love it. Your Sampler Story is coming along nicely as well! Your grandmothers' veil is such a treasure! What a wonderful surprise!

Jackie said...

What a treasure you found! A very special family heirloom to be sure. And now Red Cottage will become another special family piece!

Mary said...

What a precious find Lois! And the fact that you have a real photo of your grandmother actually wearing it makes it a true heirloom. The timing of the find so close to your daughter's wedding just astounds me, sort of like your grandmother must have been overseeing this all along somehow? Thanks so much for sharing!

Barb said...

I love the red cottage!! Hope your Dad continues to do well.

Mouse said...

beautiful finish and WOW .... just look at that weeding veil ... simply gorgeous and sooo well kept too ... and to have the photo of her wearing it is simply precious ... that needs to be scrap booked too ....
eeekkk re your dad ... glad he is fine and doing well ... strange how things turn out , routine tests picking up stuff :) take care and happy stitching this week too :) love mouse xxxxx

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

I love your pictures
bisous de FRANCE

Katrina said...

Love the sampler for your DD and new SIL!!!!! It's so sweet. And your grandmother's veil is just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brigitte said...

Oh LOis, what a wonderful wedding gift for your daughter. The Red House is just the perfect design for it.
You seem to be finding more and more treasures of your family. The veil is just so precious.
All the best to your father.

Anne said...

Oh dear, I hope your father will be okay. Lucky that the issue was found early and not too late. What a beautiful headpiece of your grandmother's! It's so pretty!! The red house is lovely and I'm sure the happy couple will cherish it once it's framed...keeping fingers crossed for you!!

Lesleyanne said...

A gorgeous finish for the your daughter and her husband. I hope your Dad is doing okay. Beautiful find and picture.

Giovanna said...

Congrats on the pretty finish! And nice going on Sampler Story. How thrilling that you found the veil :-) I hope your father's OK, how unsettling to get that kind of scare....

Fiona said...

Congratulations on your finish. Your stitching projects look lovely. Your grandmother's veil is something to be treasured.

Carol said...

Oh, how wonderful to have your gandmother's wedding cap and veil, Lois! A real treasure! Thank you for sharing that photo, too. I just love it...

Your gift for your daughter and her husband is so beautiful--I know she will treasure it. Hope the newlyweds have settled in and are enjoying married life.

Scary times for your dad--I hope his new heart medication keeps things under control. He sounds like a very strong and feisty gentleman :)

Hugs to you, my friend!

Karoline said...

What a wonderful thing to find!

Your Red House is gorgeous & makes a lovely gift for your daughter & her husband. Nice progress on sampler story

Hope that your father continues to do well, that must have been scary

Lynn said...

Congrats on your lovely Red Cottage finish. I also have this one waiting for me to start at some point.

What a treasure to find in your Grandmother's veil! It's gorgeous! You are so lucky to have such a lovely piece of your family history.

I hope that your father has improved now and is feeling much better.