Friday, June 14, 2013

When you open a drawer....

Thanks for all the lovely comments last time round, both about my stitching and the wedding pictures.  Three weeks since the wedding and it seems ages ago now.  The honeymooners are home and back to the real world – work!!! 

A little progress to share on A Sampler Story.  The filling in done on the 10th block which, even though I have a love/hate relationship with filling in, I enjoyed and on to the next one.  Love this block.  The nursery rhyme Little Boy Blue has been rolling round in my head while I’ve been stitching this so I feel as though the next block should have cows and the wording ‘the cow’s in the corn’!! It doesn’t!!!!


With my parents now content to be living in residential care I’m gradually starting to sort and clear their house.  We have no plans to sell the house yet but with it unoccupied there are things there of sentimental value, both to my parents and myself, that I would hate to have anything happen too should the worst case scenario of the house being broken into happen.  I don’t remember my maternal grandmother as she died when I was 2.  I always knew that she was gifted when it came to needle and thread and that she worked as a milliner before she got married.  I’ve loved coming across items that belonged to her, some that I knew were somewhere in the house, some that I didn’t.

Here are two of her needle cases.  I knew about this one….



But had no idea there was another one…..


Then I came across a bag with some linen hankies inside.  I found these in amongst them….


And, a real little gem was finding these antique collars folded up in the middle of the hankies. I’d no idea these were there and it was like finding an extra little treasure.


I love that I now have these and I’m wondering if there is any way I could display the collars and hankies.  Thoughts anyone?  Could I get them framed do you think? I feel like they deserve to be seen and not shut away in a drawer.

Well, that’s all from me for this time.  Hope all is well with you and yours and given that it’s almost the weekend – have a good one!

Until next time…


25 comments:

Cath said...

The collars would look fantastic framed ,with maybe a dark red or green velvet background. Off in my fantasy lane there ,lol. x

Bertie said...

Lovely stitching Lois! Your grandmothers treasures are fabulous, you have inherited her skills;))
Have a wonderful weekend.

Mary said...

Oh Lois, such beautiful sentimental finds! I'm wishing now they had turned up just a little sooner, as the hankies would have been the perfect accessory for your daughter's wedding gown. By all means, the collars deserve a special showcase. They're so lovely, and such a marvelous bit of family history. So funny, when my grandmother died, my mother came across a very similar treasure of hand tatted lace. along with the original magazine pattern for it, made by my great grandmother. The date on the pattern is from 1918. Mom gave it all to me for safe keeping, and I've wrestled with what to do with it ever since. Will be very interested to see what you choose for the collars!

Chris said...

Great progress. What amazing treasures. You should definitely frame the collars. The hankies are gorgeous too.

Grit said...

Wonderful progress.
Greetings Grit from Germany

Carol said...

What treasures you've discovered as you clean out your parents house, Lois--so beautiful... Your grandmother was a true needlework artist and I know it must be very special to have her needlecases and her hankies. And, you're right--the collars need to be on display where you can enjoy their beauty and workmanship! I'm sure your local framer would have some ideas to make them stand out.

Love your progress on your sampler and I'm so happy to hear your daughter and son-in-law returned safely from their honeymoon. Sounds like things are settling down for you and you'll have more time to stitch again :)

Vickie said...

ooOoo! That is exactly what I was going to suggest, framing. What treasures!

Marilyn said...

Oh, what great tresure you came across.
I would frame them in one of those shadow-box frames.
Marilyn

Katrina said...

OMG, what treasures, I love everything. And so special. Very glad your parents are settling into their new living situation too.

Love your sampler piece too!!!!!!

Catherine said...

Wow ~ such beautiful treasures you have found! I have seen items like these displayed by hand sewing them to mat-board ~ usually a pretty suede or fabric mat ~ then shadow boxed. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Giovanna said...

Great progress on the sampler - love that design!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Your sampler story still looks great, I love seeing each block developing.

Melissa said...

Your Sampler is coming along nicely, Lois!

Wow what a treat to find those gems at your parents' house! Lucky you!

Penny said...

Treasures for sure! Those hankies are just beautiful! Love seeing your progress on A Sampler Story! :)

Margaret said...

Oh my, what wonderful treasures you have found from your grandmother! So cool! I bet you could get those items framed. I can't imagine someone could do it for you. A shadowbox type thing?

valerie said...

What wonderful finds at your parents house. I would definitely look into framing the lace collars and hankies. It would be a wonderful piece of art to gaze upon in your house. Love the stitching! Your project is really coming along. :)

Jackie said...

I really enjoy seeing your Sampler Story unfold.

Your mothers needle cases are exquisite! I also think the lace would look beautiful framed. Maybe against a really dark rich background?

Ellen said...

Wonderful treasures, love those needlecases! The collars will look great framed!

Beautiful wip!

Hugs,

Lesleyanne said...

Lovely stitching. Wonderful to find your grandma's things. I think the collars would look great framed.

Brigitte said...

These are real treasures you found in your parents' house. These needle cases are so precious. My grandmother also had one like these, I remember seeing it next to her chair when she was sewing. But after her death it somehow couldn't be found, it just had disappeared.
These hankies are wonderful and so are the collars. Maybe framing them would be a great idea.
Very nice progress on Brenda Keyes' sampler.

Mouse said...

ohhh how wonderful to find such lovely pieces and I think the wee collars should be on display too :)may be mounted onto some velvet or silk ?? love mouse xxxxx

Sally said...

What wonderful treasures! So beautiful.

Lovely stitching.

Karoline said...

What wonderful treasures to find.

Sampler story is looking lovely, great progress

Fiona said...

What beautiful heirlooms you found. Framing the hankies and collars would be perfect.

slsmyth said...

Oh those collars! That's one of the "littles" I've started collecting in my travels...there is something wonderful about them, isn't there? xo