Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Overcoming the block.....

Hi everyone!  Do you ever sit down to do a blog post and make several starts but you just can’t get going?  That was me yesterday, I had the greatest of intentions of updating my blog, had the pictures all ready, but words?  Wouldn’t come. It’s not as though I was going to be writing something deep and meaningful about my stitching, all I planned to do was share what I’d been working on but, no joy, it was like being back at school when you have to write an essay and you’re drawing a complete blank on those first few sentences – does anyone else remember that feeling?  You know you'll be fine once you get started but it's the getting started!

So, here I am, back today for a second attempt, and having got that off my chest let’s see if I can now manage to chat about stitching!  

I’ve been spending a little bit of time with Sheepish Design’s Simple Guidance.  Such a sweet piece to stitch and now I’ve started I don’t want to put it down.  I'm using the suggested DMC threads and a Lakeside Linen from my stash (that I'm ashamed to say I don't know the name of!!!!)


I love the greens and the blues although the picture on the front of cover makes it look as though they are more into the brown tones. I know that in the past I’ve ordered the suggested fabric for a chart and when it arrives it looks nothing like the fabric colour on the picture but finding the thread colours looking totally different doesn’t seem to happen as often.  


Notice that I decided I wouldn’t tempt fate when I was stitching this square of A Sampler Story?  While I am up to date on my monthly stitching and while I have every intention of finishing this in 2013 I decided that maybe I should just leave that last number blank…… just in case…..!!!


And here’s an overall picture of how it’s looking so far…..


The Sampler Company's A Sampler Story using 32ct cream linen & the suggested DMC

I have started on BN’s Lo How a Rose but didn’t reckon it justified a picture on here just yet as I’ve so little done. If you do want to see a pic click on my Instagram button on the right and you’ll see the (very little!) bit that I’ve done.  I’ll be picking it up again tomorrow as Wednesday is the day to work on it. Given that the forecast is for heavy rain I’m hoping that means I get to spend an afternoon stitching on this piece and have a nice amount of progress to share next time round.

Our hot, sunny weather has broken to be replaced by sunshine and showers but, the temperatures are still pleasant during the day and it’s much more comfortable to sleep at night. 

There we go, blog post completed!!!!  Now that wasn’t so hard once I got going!!! As ever, thank you for the lovely comments you leave when you drop by. I always enjoy reading them and it’s always nice to share what I love doing with fellow stitchers.  Hope all is well with you and yours! 


Until next time…..

21 comments:

Margaret said...

Wow, that's quite a difference in thread color appearance from the chart! But it's a beautiful piece -- I love green and blue! Love your Sampler Story too! You're smart not to put the last number in the year just in case. I wasn't so smart on my piece. Have to finish it now! I've had a bit of a block when I've written blog posts, but I think I have a harder time with titles than anything else. Those are tough to come up with! I'm glad you overcame your block -- nice post!! (And I love your Lo How a Rose progress too btw!)

Bertie said...

Well Lois that happens to me all the time, words! You write wonderfully and wish I do the same:)
Colours on charts always look better, it is somewhat annoying when it is not what you expect.
I will have a look on Instagram, must admit that I am not familiar with all these networking sites.
Have a sunny week, aren't we lucky so far!

Sally said...

Beautiful progress on your stitching Lois.

I do that quite often and end up doing the blog post but not saying much and letting the photos do more of the talking than me! Lol.

Carol said...

Lovely progress, Lois--I've noticed that a lot of the older charts seem to have a variance in color. Not sure if they have just yellowed with time or it was the photography in the first place. I've seen that on several PS charts, too.

I'm sure you'll finish your big sampler in 2013--you've been so good at keeping to your schedule this year.

I am a terrible procrastinator when it comes to blogging. I have to be in a certain mood to sit and write a post and that seems to be happening less and less... Loved catching up with you, though!

Jenny said...

Hi Lois, I am new to your blog and have really enjoyed looking at all of your beautiful stitching projects. Sampler Story is stunning and Simple Guidance is wonderful as well. I have always loved Sheepish Designs. The color change surprised me as well but the blues, greens and pinks are lovely. I hope you have a great day stitching. Your blog post was very well written, I truly enjoyed it :)

Dona said...

You're right, Simple Guidance is much more more colorful (and prettier, I think) in person than on the chart. You're almost done with Sampler Story! I have no doubt 2013 will be what you stitch on it.

slsmyth said...

I think you'll stitch that "3" on the sampler but I'm laughing at you not wanting to tempt fate!! As for difficulty writing a blog post -- that block pops up from time to time for all of us I believe...and then there are the times you sit down to write one thing and write something completely different!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I often put off writing a post as I feel that I have nothing major to say. I think we all feel like this at times - some bloggers like to let their photos do the talking but I need to "speak" as well. Your needlework is looking great, as always.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Wow! The difference in colors on Simple Guidance is crazy! I have to say though, that I like what yours looks like. Very, very pretty! I'm also crazy for your Sampler Story project and, once I get everything done that I have in progress, I think I may start that one as a year or two long project. I love it!!!
And yes, I often have trouble starting a blog post (which is probably why I haven't updated in so long) but more often than not, I have too much to say!

Lesleyanne said...

Gorgeous stitching. The photo on the front cover was probably not taken in natural light and that could possibly why it is looking different.

Krista said...

Beautiful stitching! Love that Sheepish Designs piece you have started. They have such sweet designs, not so easy to find nowadays. Great start!

Chris said...

Gorgeous stitching Lois!! I love the Sheepish start.
Glad that you are having pleasant weather.
I am looking forward to your next update and seeing Hawk Run.

Melissa said...

I think maybe the older charts' photos are often very different due to the technology of photography in those days. Sometimes it's a complete surprise how the actual threads and linen look together. I like how your piece is looking.

I think you can make it for Sampler Story this year!

As to blogging, I often don't say much and let the photos do the work. I admit I am pretty boring so I don't try to write out of that one! ;-)

Jackie said...

Stitching is so hard to photograph - it's hard to get both the fabric and the thread colors accurate. Also, fabric colors have changed over the years.

I think you should totally commit to finishing A Sampler Story in 2013 - go ahead and add that 3! You can do it!

Karoline said...

Both your wips are looking gorgeous, great progress

Manuela Albanese - Cross Stitch Designer said...

lovely blog ;)
Manuela

Katrina said...

Love your blog posts!!!!! One of the things I need to take up again, I am so scattered with all the social media, instagram, FB, blogging just doesn't seem to happen.

I am sure you will finish your Sampler piece!!!!! It's just gorgeous. What a difference on the colors, but it's beautiful as stitched :-).

Penny said...

Writing of any kind has never been my favorite thing to do, so I can relate to your problem. :) Beautiful stitching on Simple Guidance - I love the squirrel. Most of the time I'm attracted to a piece because of the colors,and it is a little disappointing when they seem so different in person. And I say go ahead and put the 3 in - I know you can do it. :)

Brigitte said...

Simply Guidance is a beautiful piece, I had never seen it before. I got aware of this designer a bit late and now some of her designs are really hard to get. I've had that problem with the fabric or floss colours being very different from the picture of the chart. In case I love the picture colours better I just change everything, lol.
Great progress on the Sampler Story. I think you'll finish it easily by the end of thre year.

Kathy Ellen said...

What beautiful progress you have made on 'Simple Guidance'(the verse is beautiful), and 'A Sampler's Story', which is a wonderful piece too.

Isn't it interesting that often times the photos of a design look different from the actual colours of the actual linen and threads. Sometimes, I like the photo, and try to pick the colors I like to match it.

I know just how you feel, trying to imagine how you will write something on your blog, but then the words finally begin to flow.

Blessings for a wonderful weekend!

Catherine said...

Love your stitches! I find it frustrating to fall in love with a cover photo only to find the actual colors don't match ~ that is a big reason why I usually pick my own colors.
My blog writing has not been as frequent this year....maybe it is something about 2013?