Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Stitching and otherwise.....

Hi everyone!  Thanks for all your comments last time round.  It was good to hear that I’m not alone in sometimes finding it hard to get a blog post started!  Seems like many of us find the same thing and I’m going to take on board the advice of ‘let the pictures do the talking’ when I’m not feeling the words flowing!

So, let’s get started on what’s been going on around here, stitching and otherwise.

First up, the latest square to be completed on A Sampler Story.


With this square mainly being motifs and people it was a fun, quick stitch.  You’ll see from the picture that I’ve given you a sneak peek of the next square that I’ll be working on. Looking forward to stitching this one as it is quite a contrast to all the squares stitched previously. 

Next up is BN’s Lo How a Rose.  I’ve done enough now to feel that it warrants a ‘show and tell’. 


It’s such a sweet piece and as Wednesday is our day for the SAL on Instagram I’m hoping to find some stitching time later today.  Likely there’ll be an update picture on Instagram later today or tomorrow so feel free to check out my Instagram link if you wish.

Have any of you discovered the joys of the clearance section at garden centres? A couple of years ago, by complete chance, I realised the little gems that could be bought for a fraction of their original price which, if I brought home and gave them some TLC would repay me by thriving.  I thought I’d share a couple of the ‘finds’ I’ve bought recently.

Yesterday, I bought this glorious begonia reduced by 75%!!!  There is absolutely nothing wrong with it other than it seems to be past it’s ‘sell-by date’ and needs to be moved off the shelves. There were about 6 of these plants sitting in clearance and I wasn’t the only one grabbing a bargain!!

Then this sunflower plant….


 Look at the new flower heads that are starting! It needed some dead leaves cut off and  I plan on re-potting it, but other than that it's as good as new.  I’m looking forward to the birds having a feast of sunflower seeds as autumn approaches.

Another recent purchase was this dahlia which was looking sad and bedraggled when I brought it home but it now seems to be enjoying life.


Last, but not least, not a plant from the garden centre but one that was in my parents' house which my father had no more interest in.  Rather than throw it out, I brought it home.  Lo and behold….


My first ever success of an African Violet flowering for a second time!  I have to tell you though, I really didn’t give this plant much attention and obviously ‘neglect’ works in this case because suddenly it has burst into life again.  I seem to be having a summer where my fingers are definitely ‘green’!!!

Well, that’s all for this time.  Hope all is well with you and yours.

Until next time…..

23 comments:

Natasha said...

Great flowers! I love hitting the clearance sections after the "season" is over. Congratulations on the African Violet, that has always been a favorite of mine.

Your Lo' piece makes me want to get my supplies together and start on mine, I will following your instagram link to watch progress.
Have a wonderful day!

Bertie said...

A colourful post Lois, lovely stitching!
It does make me want to go to the garden centre now, seems to be a good time for it;)

Vickie said...

That must be the preferred approach to African Violets then. I neglect mine for the most part too, and it blooms every year for over 7 years.
Yes, I purposely go to a upscale garden center at the end of July. He marks many, many great annuals down to $1!! I refresh my 2 large pots in front of the garage with a new look for fall this way every year, on the cheap!! ;)

Penny said...

I really love the variety of a Sampler Story. Beautiful finds at the garden center! I'll have to try a visit to some of the ones around here and see what I can find. :)

Deborah said...

Loving the Sampler Story. I got some bargains on the clearance table of the garden shop.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Your Sampler Story is so wonderful! I love seeing your progress and really would like to stitch it one of these days. Lo How a Rose is also on my short list. I have it in a big, Christmas, cross stitch book, I think. Anyway, yours is looking great!
Love finding plants at the end of the year - perennials, especially!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Your sampler story looks really bonnie, the more you do the more impressed I am. Well done with the African Violet - my mother in law managed to keep one that I gave her years ago and she got more than one flowering from it - she's very green fingered.

Melissa said...

Yay on the flower bargains. We are heading out to do some errands today so I will see if I can find any bargains. A couple of weeks ago I did score a couple of things but nothing like 75% off! Good for you!

Stitcher's story is doing great. How many more squares to go?

Margaret said...

Both your projects are looking great! I'm not a gardener so... lol! My mother loved african violets though. She was alway so good with them.

Julie M said...

Beautiful stitching and I love the flowers!

Catherine said...

Great stitches and fabulous flower finds!!

Mouse said...

yeahhhh on the bargain flowers you do seem to have green fingers ...
gorgeous stitching on the sampler too :)and I like your new start :) love mouse xxxxx

Denise said...

Your newest stitching photos show
just how lovely they both are.
Now, Lois, you know if you want
a good plant, just come on over to
Fiddleheads!

Barb said...

Your stitching looks wonderful and great bargains at the garden center!

Lesleyanne said...

Lovely stitching and beautiful flowers.

Chris said...

Wonderful update Lois. Great stitching progress. It is always great getting a bargain on plants. You have some lovely ones. Congrats on the African violet success!

Dona said...

Both of your stitching pieces are so pretty!

Beautiful flower pictures, too. I have rescued plants from the clearance rack. What a joy to bring them back to a healthy plant.

Karoline said...

Great progress on your wips, they both look lovely

You got some real bargains with the flowers

Brigitte said...

My mom used to have an African violet which flowered again and again and again. She always said that she didn't give it much care but somehow my mom had a green thumb and the flowers in her care knew that, lol.
Two great projects you are stitching on right now.

valerie said...

Pretty flowers Lois! So glad that the plants perked up for you. I love violets and have a couple of plants that grace me with prettiness. One flowers over and over and the other gist gives me lots of fuzzy leaves but no flowers. I'm not sure why but it's still alive so that makes me happy.

Great progress on your sampler story. You are so close to a happy dance! Pretty start on Lo too.

Sharon said...

Both of your projects are looking fantastic. Gorgeous flowers.

RuthB said...

Such beauty on all fronts! I'm wondering though -- can I borrow your green thumb? My office plants are looking a little ill. :)

Your Sampler Story and Rose are looking lovely-- Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes I forget how those motif pieces do seem to fly by... oh dear, I'm getting the urge to start something new.... Ack!

Maggee said...

I have started Lo How a Rose but haven't touched it in months. It is such a lovely piece! Great going! Also the Sampler Story is coming along nicely! Thanks for sharing your garden with us! Maybe next year I will also plant some flowers... it could happen! Hugs!