Friday, September 20, 2013

Stitching, stash and seasonal WIP's

Hi everyone!  It’s one of those autumnal mornings, dull and cloudy but with the promise of turning into a nice day later on.  Life has been busy.  Family home for weekends, a family wedding last weekend in Scotland, Glasgow to be precise, that was a lot of fun.  Lots of men in kilts and a very happy young couple who seemed to really enjoy their day.  Then this week we’ve had a painter/decorator in to re-do two of the bedrooms. Much needed I have to say.  This morning I’ll be heading out to look at flooring for one of the bedrooms.  What a difference a coat of paint makes and new wallpaper in one of the rooms. 

Well, let me start off with my progress on BN’s Lo How a Rose that I’m stitching along with several other ladies on Instagram.  I am loving this one and being very strict with myself that I only stitch it on a Wednesday!  (Yes, this non-rotation girl has suddenly gone from one extreme to another and is doing a balancing act with all the WIP’s she has going on – so far, so good!!!).  I’m stitching this on the suggested 32ct antique white and using a mix of the suggested colours – overdyeds and DMC.  The lighting is so dull this morning that I feel like it's making my pictures look a little washed out!


For those of you interested in tracking this one down the book is Better Homes and Gardens, A Cross-Stitch Christmas, Celebrations in Stitches, ISBN 069621363-X.   I bought my copy on Amazon Marketplace for next to nothing and, as far as I know, you can still pick it up relatively easily at the moment.

Next up is ‘old faithful’….. one more block stitched.  It has been stitched for a few weeks and suddenly here it is, the end of September coming into sight so I need to get busy and stitch the second block for this month!  This square is meant to be personalized with initials under the birds but I’m leaving that until the end.


Several of us have started stitching Fall projects on a Friday on Instagram. It’s another one of those ‘stitch something Fall/autumn related, your choice’ although several of us are stitching the freebie that was offered by With Thy Needle and Thread several years ago - you can find it here.  This is my progress so far


I’m stitching this one on some 32ct from my fabric stash, I think it’s something like Antique Ivory.   I’ve dabbled with the suggested colours slightly and I’m using an older Needle Necessities thread, called Woodland Fantasy, for the border. I’m pretty certain it’s still available through Threadworx but they’ve changed the name and I’m not sure what it’s called now.  I love the colours in this one going from greens to golds to browns. 

Note, this one isn’t finished but since I received the JCS Halloween issue last week I’ve been itching to start this one from Paulette of Plum Street Samplers and I can resist no longer and plan to start today. 


I did some stash-diving through my fabric and came up with what’s behind the magazine. It is showing up a little more brown in the picture than it is in ‘real life’ but the colours seem to pop off it and I’m going to give it a go.  Another fabric that I didn’t label so can’t share what it is other than it has the feel of an R&R!  Again, I’m using a mix of the suggested overdyeds and DMC, just going with what I had in my stash. 

I'll not talk about the new BBD booklet, Sisters, which arrived this week.  All I'll say is that I love each project is this booklet and I've the feeling that I could be adding another WIP into the mix shortly because I really don't know that I will be able to resist starting Witch No More!!!!  BBD have outdone themselves at Market this year, all their new releases are ones that I look at and think 'have to stitch'!!!!

And that’s what I’ve been up to lately!!!  Hope all is well with you and yours – enjoy the upcoming weekend!


Until next time……

22 comments:

Jackie said...

I always enjoy seeing what you're working on! And of course, following what you're doing on Instagram!

Maggee said...

You are making good progress on those WIPs. Am loving seeing the BN project...makes me want to pull mine out, though I have a bit more obligatory stitching to get done first! Then it's WIPs for the rest of the year! Hugs!

Margaret said...

Wow, you have a lot of beautiful projects! I love following you on Instagram, and it's great to see a summary on your blog too! (Did you hear about Murray? )

Deb said...

I love your piece and I've seen it on Instagram (actually stalked it because I love it so much!). You've got some wonderful projects in the works!

Denise said...

Great stitching! I just recently finished the fall one from With Thy Needle & Thread.
Happy Stitching
Denise

Katrina said...

All fun projects!!!!!!! And you have definitely dove into the rotation stitching, LOL.

Melissa said...

Ooooh, lots of lovely stitching, Lois! I had to laugh about you going from one extreme to another and now you are a happy rotation gal! I say, whatever makes you happy!

I am still waiting for my Market stash to arrive! I ordered Sisters too and am sure there are loads of lovely things there!

Happy weekend!

SIMPLESEW said...

Wow, you have a lot of beautiful projects!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

What a great project update! Love each and everything you're working on. I bought the BH&G book several years ago when a lot of gals were stitching "Lo". I love it and watching your progress makes me want to start it! I used to be a one at a time girl but lately... Not so much.

Kay said...

Beautiful work. I have to see if I can try and track down the cross stitch book now for that pattern.

Lesleyanne said...

So much lovely stitching. Look forward to seeing more of your progress and your new start.

valerie said...

Great stitching Lois! Your Lo is really coming along. I have this to stitch one day. I love your little Sampler Story block and that boy and girl pilgrim in the next block is so cute too! I somehow skipped over Fall and am stitching Christmas. Maybe I'll actually be on time for a holiday. Wouldn't that be great!? LoL

Bianca said...

Great stitchy progress. The colors in Lo How a Rose are pretty, and I love the piece you picked for your Fall stitch. You're right, Ghoul Tidings is so cute too!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Well I certainly have a hankering to start a WIP myself after reading and seeing what you are doing Lois!
I have Lo done and it is a fav of mine! Enjoy! Can't wait for your next update :)

Chris said...

Beautiful projects and progress.
Sounds like the wedding was lots of fun.

Barb said...

You are working on so many beautiful designs!! Thanks for the information on the Christmas design.

Mary said...

Hi Lois! From the look of all your wonderful project,s it seems the rotation is working well for you. I'm impressed! It's exciting to see A Sampler Story so close to being done.

Karoline said...

All your projects are looking lovely, great progress

Laura Tyler said...

Oh wow you have been busy!! I really like the new start from the hallowe'en issue, I am waiting for mine to arrive.

Laura x x

Catherine said...

Busy, busy, busy! Love all of your stitches!!

Penny said...

Love the projects you are working on! I'm with you on the Sisters book from BBD! Maybe I will just begin with the first one, and work my way through. :)

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Wonderful progress on your lovely choices! Also trying to decide what to start next - still a one at a time girl - and Ghoul Tidings is mighty tempting!