Monday, December 30, 2013

A resolution completed....

Hi everyone!  Yes, it’s a wrap!!!! A Sampler Story is finished!! When I started out in January I hoped that I would be able to keep to my plan of two squares a month and, mostly I did.  The last few months, well, I did have times when it wasn’t really what I felt like stitching on but now, of course, I’m really pleased that I stuck with it!!  I put DS#2 to good use this afternoon and had him hold it up so I could get it all in the picture!!!!  I think it comes across a bit bigger than it is but the finished size is 18” x 12” stitched over two.


As I’d planned I personalised some of the squares.....

First up, was the family wedding in May when our daughter was married. 


I wanted to stitch the actual date as well as their initials and thought this square had the most room to do that.

My parents celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary in February so I wanted that to be commemorated.


In March DH and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary (don’t ask me where the years have gone, they’ve flown in!!!!).


I added our house number to this square instead of the number that was there.


My initials were in this square.



And finally, I put the final digit in the year!!!!


You do know, of course, I’m now going to go through that stage of missing working on it even though the last few months I wasn’t totally inspired by it?!?!?!?!?!

Thank you to everyone who has left comments, encouraged me to keep going and who has followed my progress throughout the year.  I am sure that without that I probably would have slackened off at some point and it would have ended up as a UFO!

I’ve my sights set on some new projects in 2014 though.  First up will be this one, this is my Jan 1st start and I’m really looking forward to it.  The Scarlet Letter's Mary Gail.  There are a number of us on Instagram who are going to be stitching this so, if you are on IG and would like to join us, you are more than welcome. 


I hope you all had a lovely Christmas, we did.  All that preparation in the weeks leading up to it and now, here we are, and it’s over and done with for another year!!!!  There'll be no big excitement here on New Year’s Eve, DH and I will likely spend a quiet evening in front of the tv!! We do have a family wedding to go too this weekend, our niece is getting married in Edinburgh on Saturday so on Friday we’ll be hopping on a plane and heading off until Sunday.  Looking forward to that and wondering how many men will be in kilts!!!! 


Until next time……

42 comments:

Karen said...

What a great finish! Happy stitching in the new year....

Melissa said...

Lois, congratulations! What a beautiful piece and you've customized it to make it your own story too! Well done!

Ahhh, Mary Gail! That will be fun! It's such a pretty piece.

Happy New Year!

Vickie said...

Your work is splendid!
Have a great time at the wedding.

Vonna, The Twisted Stitcher said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Perfectly done !

llknbillburg said...

Congrats on your finish! It is a lovely piece! You've inspired me to investigate doing a sampler in a year too. Laura

Deborah said...

Just gorgeous!!

Jackie said...

What a great way to end the year and start the new year! Not many of us set goals in January that we actually see realized. Congratulations for sticking with it - the result is absolutely beautiful!

Rowyn said...

What a wonderful way to finish 2013, A Sampler Story is beautiful!

I look forward to seeing your progress on Mary Gail, the colours look lovely and bright.

Happy new year.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

What a great feeling to finish such an impressive piece, well done. I hope the weather is kind to you this weekend in Edinburgh and I'm sure you will most likely see lots of men in kilts:-) They are very popular for functions these days.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Spectacular finish, Lois! I love all your subtle personalizations! I know you are so glad you stuck with it. I loved watching your progress on IG and I'm thrilled to see the entire piece, here. Have fun at the wedding and Happy new Year!

Myra said...

What a masterpiece Lois! You must be so proud to have finished it. Love your New Year's start - very colorful. Happy New Year!

besomom said...

Congratulations on this gorgeous finish. The personalizations are a wonderful touch.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Congratulations on the beautiful finish! Happy New Year!

Cindy's Stitching said...

wow. really pretty. happy new year.

Barb said...

What a beautiful project!! Congratulations on your finish!

Margaret said...

Hooray! Congratulations on the finish! I love it, and I love all the personalization too! My DH and I celebrated 30 years this year too! A good year to get married, don't you agree? I want to stitch Mary Gail as well, but I'm not sure when I'll start. Oh dear, now you are tempting me. Can you help me with the AVAS colors? Are you using AVAS? I remember the chart not specifying which color was what, and I have the AVAS for it and don't know which is which color...... Anyway, happy new year!

SewAmy said...

Oh, your Sampler Story is so beautiful!! I love the way you added your own touches to it. I do think I already follow you on instagram so I can't wait to see your progress on Mary Gail.

Cathy B said...

What a wonderful way to end the year!

Jenny said...

Congratulations on a spectacular finish Lois! Sampler Story is just beautiful and I love how you have made it your own! What a terrific way to end 2013! Mary Gail is another wonderful sampler...it will be fun to watch your progress! Happy New Year and may 2014 bring you and your family much joy!

Denise said...

Congratulations on another masterpiece, Lois! You always do
such terrific work. Have you a place picked out to hang this beauty?
Will be thinking of you as you go
to Edinburgh....

Penny said...

Congratulations, Lois!!! And all of your personalizations make it a very special finish! I knew you could do it. :) I love Mary Gail and I'm really looking forward to watching your progress! Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

Angie Burrett said...

Totally fabulous - what a great way to end 2013! Absolutely love it, all those hours and hours were well spent.
Happy stitching in 2014 x

Miss Lilly said...

It looks so beautiful! Congratulations on such a pretty finish :)
All the best for 2014!

krayolakris said...

So beautiful!! congratulations!

Edgar said...

What a super finish - I have loved watching this one a you stitched away and now you have such a lovely personalized work of stitchery!! Congrats!!

Sally said...

An absolutely fantastic finish Lois! I loved seeing you stitch this through the year. Looking forward to your new start too.

Happy New Year!

Andrea said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

Mary said...

Lois, it's good luck to end the year with a stitching finish! Congratulations on such an impressive completion. Here's wishing all the best for you in the new year.

Lanie said...

Lovely finish Lois ... what a beautiful remembrance of all the wonderful events your family celebrated in 2013! Congratulations!
Love 'Mary Gail' ... I have her in my stitching basket ... don't know if I'll get to her in 2014 or not, but I will definitely look forward to your progress posts.
Happy New Year!

Susan said...

Crazy Lois!!!!!! I can't believe I didn't know that you had a blog!!!! AM I THE LAST PERSON ON THE EARTH TO KNOW????? What a fabulous finish and what a great goal to have kept!!! It is gorgeous as all your work is!!! Have a super happy new year even if you are ringing it in in front of the tv with stitching!!! Hugs...Susan

Angela P said...

Congratulations on a gorgeous finish! Happy New Year!

Brigitte said...

Sampler Story is looking gorgeous, a great finish! I love how your personalized it and will keep all this in mind for the time when I will be stitching mine.
Have a great new stitching year 2014!

Lesleyanne said...

Congratulations on your gorgeous finish. I love how you have personalised it. Happy New Year to you and your family.

Mouse said...

wooooo hooooo doing a wee happy dance for you :)
nice new start for the new year too ... enjoy the wedding :)
and wishing you a wonderful stitchy new year :) love mouse xxxxx

Catherine said...

Yay!! Fabulous finish!! It has been so fun watching you work on this and cheering you on! Now on to Mary! Wishing you a wonderful New Years!

Giovanna said...

Congrats on the wonderful finish, and have a great 2014.

Mary said...

Your Sampler Story truly is a story with the personalisation you put into it. It is beautiful. I agree that when you spend time on a large piece you do miss it when finished.
Have fun with your New Year start.
Mary

Karoline said...

Sampler story is stunning, congratulations

Enjoy working on Mary Gail

Carol said...

What a beauty, Lois!! I just love how you personalized so many of the blocks--just perfect. I've so enjoyed following along on your progress each month--I'll miss it! I do think this is one of the prettiest samplers out there--can't wait to see it all framed up.

We had a quiet New Year's Eve in front of the television, too--could barely stay awake until midnight :) Yep--we're getting old!!

So glad your Christmas was a good one--I'm sure the house seems very quiet now that the kids have all left. Wishing you every happiness in 2014, my friend!!

Maggee said...

Congrats on finishing the Sampler! I KNEW you would... you progressed so methodically--it had to happen! Blessings in 2014! Hugs!

Cari-in-VA said...

Lois, what a gorgeous finish! I just love all the personal touches you added to make it so special! Looking forward to stitching Mary Gail with you!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Wow! Way to go and good for you for sticking with your goal!!!