Monday, December 2, 2013

Staying on track.....

Hi everyone!  Yes!  For the first time in a couple of months I managed to stitch the two squares in A Sampler Story that I’d planned too in November!  Now, I did cut it a little fine, finished the second square on Saturday, the last day of the month, but, it feels good that I stayed on track with it.

Here’s the second square…..



And a pic of both squares……



Look what happened though…..


I’d used this needle from the start and the longer it lasted the more I was hoping it would keep going until I put the final stitches in.  Not so!!  I had noticed it was getting a little worn and was trying to be extra careful with it but it reached its limit and was gone.  It made me wonder……do you try to keep using the same needle on the same project or is that just one of my somewhat weird quirks?!?!?!?!

And look!  This is the space left to stitch in ….


Two squares left to go, plus some personalisation to make this sampler unique to our family. 

Thanks for all your lovely comments on my finish of BN’s Lo How a Rose.  It hasn't made it to the framer as yet so will probably be going in January when I take A Sampler Story to be framed (yes, I'm doing all the positive talk about finishing it by the end of December!).

And one final picture, when Christmas starts to roll around (can you believe it’s December?!?!?!) I sometimes get a little sidetracked.  Last year I’d noticed button Christmas button trees popping up on Pinterest and here’s my first attempt at one!



I’ve got a couple of other sizes of the Styrofoam tree shapes and have more buttons ordered. I'm probably going to add a star or something on top but might wait until I've a couple more done and see how they look together. 

Well, I think that's about it for this time. Thanks for dropping by my little bit of the stitching blog world. I hope all is well with you and yours.  

Until next time.....

22 comments:

Chris said...

Great progress, so close to finishing this now. It looks great, too bad that your needle didn't make it.
The button tree is very cool.

Anna Zont said...

Very nice sampler!

Catherine said...

So close for the poor needle!! I tend to use needles until they bend too much and/or break! Does it feel bittersweet to be so close to the end of the Sampler Story Journey? It is a beautiful piece! How cute is that button tree!

Margaret said...

Love your Sampler Story! So close to a finish! I do tend to use my needle until it breaks. Right now I'm also just moving it from one project to another. lol! Love your button tree too!

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

My needles tend to lose their coating where I hold them so I am often having to replace them with new ones and never pay attention to see if they last me the whole piece or not I guess I've been lucky in that I've never had one break on me yet - fingers crossed :} Your Sampler Story is coming along nicely perhaps a finish by the new year? I havn't seen a button tree before, I think it's a cute idea and think the buttons you chose look very pretty - much love, Amanda

Giovanna said...

Great progress on Sampler Story - it's lovely.

Vickie said...

I just use the needles til they die.
Neat, little button tree.

Brigitte said...

Ahhh, two more squares finished on this beautiful sampler. I'm also stitching on a sampler by Brenda Keyes and just can't put it down although I have some guift stitching to do.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Sampler Story is so close to being finished, it must be a good feeling to get this far. I most definitely try to use the same needle all the way through a project - I don't really know why though.

Jenny said...

Your Sampler Story is almost finished....how wonderful is that! I have so enjoyed sharing your journey :) It is just beautiful. I tend to use my needles until they break as well. Sometimes I can even finish more then one project with one depending on the size of the sampler...LOL...and then there are other times when I go through a bunch :0 Love your button tree...

Carol said...

Hasn't this year just whizzed by, Lois?! Gosh, it seems like yesterday that you just began stitching your beautiful Sampler Story. It really is gorgeous and I look forward to seeing the final finish along with your personalization. I tend to do the same thing with my needles--it's always such a shock when they snap in two!!

Your button tree is adorable--so many wonderful (and distracting) ideas on Pinterest :)

Enjoy your last few weeks until Christmas--I know they'll be busy ones!

Mary said...

The Sampler Story is looking wonderful, Lois. You are so close to the end! Can't wait to see it framed.
My needles don't break but I have had a few of the eyes snap from the threader. How frustrating no matter how they go~

Your button tree is sweet.

Have a very Merry and Blessed Christmas.

Jackie said...

I have no doubt that you'll finish The Sampler Story as planned! It looks wonderful and I know you must be tickled to be so close to finishing.

I've honestly never had a needle break! I tend to drop them somewhere first or bend them.

Melissa said...

Two more to go! You must be so excited but maybe a bit pressured too? It's looking great though!

The button tree is cute!

Lesleyanne said...

Your christmas tree and stitching are both gorgeous.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

An almost finished project! I typically thread multiple needles - one for each color in the project. It spreads the wear and tear around. They tend to be small ones, so they bend more than snap! Love the button tree. Cute idea!

Mary said...

Lois, you'll have it done by New Year's if you can keep it up through the holidays!!

What an intersting question about the needles. I would love to use the same needle from start to finish, but never seem to keep them that long. There must be a huge pile of missing needles somewhere around here, probably next to those odd socks that tend to disappear. I notice that mine don't break in half so much as they tend to bend or the eye gets so flattened I can't thread it any more. I'm certain it has to do with how we hold and pull it while stitchng.

Maggee said...

Almost there! You WILL do it! I use needles till they break - which they do... I have noticed that they kind of bend in the eye. Could be from using two strands with the wrong needle, but they all look alike! I try to keep them separated but... sigh... I wanted to do something similar to the button tree but finding the buttons was impossible or too expensive! Hugs!

Andrea said...

Great progress on your sampler. I tend to use the same 3 or 4 needles on any project. Love your button tree, I've never seen anything like it before. A star would look fantastic!

Karoline said...

Congratulations on finishing your latest block, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished sampler. Your button tree is very cute.

Beth said...

A Sampler Story is coming along...so close now. What a sweet button tree.

Anne said...

It's beautiful Lois!! I can see you are nearing your goal of finishing it. I've never had a broken needle, but I've had bent ones. I try to use the same needle for the whole project but have at times exchanged it for a new one. The button tree is adorable! It looks like candy! Hugs!