Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sheep, flowers and sleigh bells.....

Hi everyone!  Well, much as I enjoy January for being a clean slate and having plans the other side of that is that you start stitching but then it feels like you don’t have much to share!  So, this post is mainly an update of what I’ve been working on but, keep reading,  I am sneaking a first finish in towards the end!

First up, you’ll remember my dilemma of the sheep with the broken leg.  Well, aside from a bit more progress, I re-stitched the area but didn’t see much improvement!  Poor thing still looks like it has a leg problem!!!  I’ll give it one more go and see but I don’t want to work too much at it in case it ends up looking worse!! 


However, I did look more closely at the cover picture on the chart and, lo and behold, what do we have……a sheep that looks like it has a leg problem!  So, maybe I need to take a chill pill and accept this is how it will be (although, you can guess, it’s always going to catch my eye!!!).


Next up, a little bit of progress on SL’s Mary Gail.  This is my first larger project on 36ct (my comfort zone is very much 32ct and I rarely stray!).  I’m not disliking the 36ct but I do feel I’m slower on it but I also know the more I work on it the quicker I’ll be.  So, I’ll get there!!


This has to be my favourite WIP at the moment.  Hannah Lovina Joslin from BBD’s Honeysuckle Manor booklet. 


I’m stitching this one in a mix of the suggested overdyeds and DMC.  I may need to rethink the GA Lambswool as I’m not sure how well it’s going to show up on this fabric – I’m not using the suggested Sheep’s Straw, going with fabric out of my stash, Antique Ivory – but I’ll stitch a little more of it (for now it’s only on the flowers in the vase to the right of the centre flowers).

And finally, my first finish of 2014!  And yes, it’s a Christmas-themed one….


I had started this one before Christmas but it was put to one side while I focused more on finishing A Sampler Story. 

This is from Country Rustic Primitives, called Primitive Sleigh Bells Cupboard Keep.  The chart was passed on to me by my dear friend Heidi (no blog!) after I’d seen her finish of this one on Instagram. I stitched this using the suggested DMC and on some evenweave fabric from my stash (not sure what it is!!!!).  At least I’ve given myself plenty of time to ‘finish finish’ this one!!!

And that’s all from me in my little part of the stitching world.  I can’t believe how fast January is going, usually I find it’s a month that seems long but, not this year! 

Hope all is well with you and yours!
Until next time……


25 comments:

Vickie said...

Lots of beautiful stitching going on! The snow and frigid weather are making my January seem very long!

Margaret said...

All of your projects are lovely! I think the broken leg looks fine -- and it sounds like it was just the way the poor sheepie was designed. Lovely finish too!

slsmyth said...

You will always think of that finished piece as the "one with the broken leg" -- I know you too well! :)

And I am not surprised that the Hannah Lovina Joslin pattern is your favourite at the moment...it is SO you. xo

Ann at Beadlework. said...

You choose some lovely designs to work on. I find 32 count is my stretch these days - any finer and I am reluctant to sit down with it at all.

Keeper of the Crowes said...

You are stitching some beautiful samplers! I'm crazy for your Sleigh Bells piece.

MUSC SANEs said...

great start for the new year! I really like the sleigh bells and look forward to seeing how you finish it!

Jenny said...

I too love Hannah...she is just beautiful! As for the darling little sheep...he went straight to my heart...but I always love little irregularities in my samplers. I just know I will have to go on a hunt for this pattern at some point...LOL...Mary Gail is such a stunning sampler...she will be wonderful and so worth the effort! Enjoy your stitching!

Melissa said...

That's funny about the sheepie's leg! The sampler itself is looking great.

Oh dear, I think I may have to stitch Mary Gail one day. I just love that flower!

Sleigh Bells look very elegant!

Bianca said...

Great progress on all of your WIPs. Mary Gail looks like it will be so pretty. Most importantly congrats on your finish, it came out great.

valerie said...

Great stitching Lois! Love Mary Gail already. I can't wait to see more of her and your Hannah is so pretty as well. Congrats on your Sleigh Bells finish! I wish January would slow down too. It's going too fast!

Maggee said...

Great projects, and great progress! I think I have that Honeysuckle Manor Book, tho I do not remember seeing such a pretty sampler! Off to dig in the stash I go! Hugs!

Barb said...

Your sheep looks great to me but I know how it feels to be bugged by something. Sleigh Bells is lovely. Ever time I see your Hannah, I think I should stitch it. I would probably use antique ivory too. It is my go to fabric.

Jackie said...

It's hard to believe the first month of the year is almost over! At least you seem to be getting a lot accomplished (unlike me)! You're working on some lovely projects. You'll get more accustomed to the 36 count. Don't underestimate the value of a strong light either. That generally helps me the most!

Lesleyanne said...

All of your projects look lovely.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

All your projects are growing as quickly as January is passing! Just think how fast the rest will be.

Andrea said...

All of your stitching is lovely. I am drawn to Sleigh Bells though.

Katrina said...

All fun projects. I thought the sheep was just laying down lol.

Angela P said...

Lovely stitching :)

Chris said...

That poor little sheep :) He is fine.
Your projects are gorgeous. I love the Sleigh Bells finish. That font is so pretty.

Tisha Dolton said...

Your cross stitch pieces are lovely.

Karoline said...

Great progress on your samplers. Congratulations on finishing Sleigh Bells, it's lovely

Suzanne said...

Such beautiful projects you are working on. The sheep looks fine to me, but I know it all comes down to personal taste.

Carol said...

I can't get over the difference in colors on your Sheepish Designs chart versus the real thing, Lois. I love "your" colors :) And I think the sheep actually does look fine, now!

Lovely WIPs and that little Sleigh Bells finish is so pretty--what elegant lettering!

January dragged for me due to our horrid weather--I can't wait for short February and then the spring days that late March will bring :)

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Anne said...

Wonderful stitching Lois! I really like SL's Mary...she's such a pretty sampler. Congrats on your finish! I feel the same way as you...lots of WIP's but not a lot of finishes. We'll get there! Hugs

staci said...

Beautiful stitching and projects! The older I get, the more I enjoy January (as a youngster, January always feels a little like a letdown, lol!)