Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Falling back in love.....maybe......

Hi everyone!  Given that today is Wednesday and it’s the IG SAL for BBD’s Hannah Lovina Joslin I think it’s about time that I sat down and updated the blog otherwise the pictures I took almost a week ago are going to be out of date!!!  I’m planning on stitching on this one tonight.  Last Wednesday I got started with some house building and this is where I’m too….


I’m going to continue with the house this evening and maybe try and get some of the grass stitched at the front of the house. 

I have really managed very little stitching in the last while. Life has been busy, the final clearance of my parents’ home and taking that next step of putting it on the market.   As such I have no emotional attachment to the house I’d left home when my parents moved to this house and the longest time I ever stayed there was probably a week. Having said that, doing the paperwork and handing the keys over to the estate agent made me realise that this very much a chapter closing, not just in my life, but for my parents as well.  Now we just wait and see if anyone likes it enough to buy it!

I have pulled a WIP out of the depths of my stash.  Back in 2011 I had started on BBD’s Loose Feathers for that year, the one with the three birds and the alphabet top and bottom.  I had loved the first section but, let’s just say that while stitching the middle section, I started to fall out of love with it.  It was just something about the large bird and all the browns.  So, I ground to a halt and it has floated around here every so often popping up to let me know it hadn’t gone away!!!!  Don’t know why, don’t know how, but sure enough, I’ve felt inclined to pick it back up again.  I checked back through my blog posts to see if I could find the last time I shared a pic of this one and it was in January 2012!! That’s how ‘out of love’ I’d become with it!!!


I still have this middle section to finish but I’ve done the border so I can start the next section and added some of the berries (or whatever they are!).  I’m thinking that as I like the 3rd section (winter) so much I might get started stitching on that and then come back and finish the middle bit.


And for a total change of direction…….I’m going to a quilting class (aimed at beginners)!!!!   Yes, me who is a complete couch potato come the evenings is heading out to a 2 ½ hour class each Monday evening for the next little while along with my friend Margaret.  Now, to be honest, this Monday past I started to sew some of the pieces together so this picture is a little behind the times….


But I wanted to let you see the fabrics I was using.  The reds are from a French General jelly roll and the background fabric is a cream with a small floral print.  So far, so good.  I’ve really enjoyed it although now that we’re putting pieces together I’m doing that thing of starting obsess about everything being ‘perfect’ both my stitching and putting the fabrics together.  I’m trying to curb that!!!!

And that’s about all that has been going on around here.  I feel like I’ve stitched very little this past week or so but hopefully I can rectify that soon.  Poor Mary Gail is feeling a little neglected and I really need to watch that I don’t forget about her.

Hope all is well with you and yours and that the Arctic weather in parts of the US is starting to ease.


Until next time……

25 comments:

Margaret said...

I'm in love with those French General fabrics. They have the best collections. Lovely progress on Honeysuckle Manor, and nice on pulling out your old WIP! Good luck with selling your parents' house. Not much fun, but it will be nice to have it done!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Beautiful choice of fabrics, quilting can be fun but I found the "quilt police" were always looking over my shoulder! Lovely stitching, as always.

Bianca said...

Such pretty colors in HL. Congrats on your new venture in quilting. I can't wait to see how your first project comes out :)

Myra said...

Oh I do hope you enjoy your quilting class Lois. I love the fabrics you chose. Are you making something small to start? That BBD piece is gorgeous when finished. Maybe go over to Chris' blog and take a look at her finish of it and you will be motivated again. :o) Hers sure is pretty.

Barb said...

Love the fabric for your quilting! BBD is one of my favorite designers,I think the piece You are working on is lovely!

Von said...

Good for you for taking the quilting class! You've made some great fabric choices. :)

valerie said...

Great progress on your Hannah! And good for you for getting a wip out of the closet and working on it. I also am a big fan of the summer and winter sections. Oh, the clearing out of a house seems so daunting. I dread having to do that as my parents have accumulated so much stuff. But I'm sure it will be a relief to have it sold and not worry about the upkeep. Good luck!

Lesleyanne said...

Lovely stitching.

Chris said...

Hello Lois! I love your current projects. The BBD pice is one of my favorites, I am so glad that you are back to stitching it.
I hope that the quilting class is a great success. The fabrics that you have chosen are so pretty.
I hope that the sale of your parents house goes well :)

Giovanna said...

Your stitching WIPs are so lovely. Have fun in your quilting class - that's something I should also do... sometime :-)

Margit said...

It took me a while to go through your whole blog and I love all of your stiching!

Keeper of the Crowes said...

Your quilt is going to be amazing! I'm having a great time stitching Hannah, as well. Yours is looking beautiful! I have that piece somewhere in my stash. I'll have to get it out too!

Melissa said...

The fabrics are lovely, Lois. I'm sure you will get hooked. I loved playing with fabrics when I was in my quilting phase and it was so easy to collect stash!

Good luck with the work around your parents' house. It can't be easy. My husband had to do with with his parents place years ago. Even though he never lived there, it was tough.

Take care!

Carol said...

Having been through the clearing out and sale of my parents' house two years ago, I know what a huge job it is. It may be easier since you don't have the emotional attachment to it, Lois... Good luck--I can't imagine doing it all on your own. I hope you're getting help from your husband :)

Lovely looking Hannah and I'm so impressed that you've taken a beginning quilter's class. That is something I've always wanted to do, but just haven't found the time. Hope you enjoy stitching on the BBD bird again--that middle one is a big one, indeed!!

Our Arctic weather is back and we've had more snow this week--it is getting ridiculous! Hope your spring is making an appearance :)

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Your stitching is lovely! Older WIPs are so hard for me. I hope to take a quilting class when I retire. That's why people say they are busier after retirement than before, isn't it? They attempt everything they always wanted to do!

Charlene ♥ SC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy in Virginia said...

Hi, Lois! I've been plugging away on the very same Loose Feathers for several years, ever since it first came out! I work on it for a bit, then it kind of gets pushed aside, you know how that goes...it is currently in my rotation, I want it done! Why don't we stitch along to stay motivated? I'll try to post a picture of mine on my blog this weekend

Andrea said...

Beautiful stitching. Your quilt is going to be lovely. I have seen some of those French General fabrics at a craft show recently, beautiful.

Denise said...

Hi Lois!
Your BBD stitching is really lovely and looks like a fun one to stitch.
I love the fabrics you chose - could this be from a quilt shop trip?!
Here in the deep South our weather
has warmed up somewhat. However,
other parts of the US are having
severe ice and snow storms -- I'm
ready for spring!

Suzanne said...

Your stitching is looking pretty. I love the fabrics and will have to keep an eye out for the new range when it finally makes it's way out here.

Susan said...

I know for a fact that you will fall in love all over again with the BBD birds!! It is one pretty stitch when it is all finished and you will love it! I am truly going ton enjoy your new quilting journey and I know that you will feel such a sense of accomplishment when it is all said and done. Take your time, and enjoy the process, that is the most important. I still would like to know what pattern you are using....I have some great jelly roll books that you are welcome to, email me and let me get your address and I will pop them in the mail....see you in the IG!! Susan

Brigitte said...

French General, that's what I was thinking when I looked at the picture with your cut pieces of fabric. I love that fabric line. Or I couls also say I love Moda fabrics. Enjoy your sewing adventure.

That BBD piece looks great and I hope you find the mojo to finish it. It's worth it. It's just that I have never understood why there's only three seasons instead of four. But it's a lovely piece anyway.

Pam in IL said...

When I had to clean out my parent's house, it was so overwhelming. What hit me the hardest was that dad was gone and mom was never going to be home again. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this.

Your stitching is beautiful and I really like the fabrics you chose for the quilt.

Karoline said...

Enjoy your quilting class, the fabric is lovely.

Nice to see the Loose feathers again, hope you can find the love again. Hannah is looking gorgeous, great progress

Sally said...

Beautiful stitching Lois. My AotH is a UFo and seeing your BBD stitching really makes me want to pick it up again.

Hope you enjoy the quilting class.

Thinking of you putting your parents home on the market. I know what you are going through.