Monday, March 10, 2014

Letting Mary go first......

Hi everyone!  As it’s Monday, and I usually try to work on Scarlet Letter’s Mary Gail (but haven’t managed to today!) I thought I’d start off by sharing my progress on her. 


She tends to get pushed to the side a little, mostly I think because I’m looking on her as a year long project so in my head I’ve got plenty of time!  Who am I kidding, here it is March and when I started out in January my ‘plan’ was to complete the bottom right hand ‘page’ of the chart by the end of this month!!!  If I don’t step up a gear I doubt that that will be happening!  I think I’m going to try for a Mary March (March Mary?!?!) and make sure I give her more attention.

Next up is BBD’s Hannah Lovina Joslin from Honeysuckle Manor.  Such a pretty one and I’m exercising huge self-control only stitching on her on Wednesdays.  I think all of us in the IG SAL feel much the same way.  She is very hard to put down!


I’ve changed the house slightly, it’s more like the house of the person I have in mind for the personalization.

I’ve been good to my word and worked a little more on BBD’s Loose Feathers 2011.  I’m going to be having a little company on this one.  Cindy of Never Enough Thyme suggested we have a mini SAL and keep each other going as she’s been in a similar situation as I was with this one.  Having company is exactly what I need to keep working on this one!

And remember the quilt class?  Well, here are my strips all ready to be sewn together.  After I uploaded this picture I realised there was a bit of fluff on one of the squares – ignore it – it’s not there any longer!!!!!  

Sewing the strips together is the next part and I’ve been feeling a little daunted by that but Deb over at Threadgatherer said what I needed to do was use pins, pins and more pins so, hopefully I can keep everything aligned and by the end of class this evening I’ll have something resembling a quilt top!! 

Until next time……


21 comments:

pam said...

It you think you have pined enough- pin more. That is my best advice on quilts and pins....

Stitching of the non machine type is coming along nicely.

Bianca said...

I just love the colors in Mary Gail, so pretty! Also, I can't wait to see how your quilt comes out. I still haven't gathered the courage to venture into quilting, but it definitely a goal for someday, lol

Barb said...

You have lots of great projects in the works!!I just love the Hannah sampler.

Melissa said...

Such a lot of wonderful projects in progress! The colours in your quilt are great!

Loving Mary Gail more and more! You're making great progress with the BBD pieces!

Jenny said...

Love all the samplers! Really pretty...Hannah is my favorite:) Your quilt is lovely...Pin away the more the merrier...that at least is what works for me! Happy Stitching!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lots of lovely hand work. The fabrics you've chosen are very bonnie.

Jackie said...

HLJ is a pretty project. I'm sure its especially difficult to put her down because you've pledged to work on her only on a certain day. That's what happens to me at least!

Deb gave you good advice. Line up those seams carefully before pinning. I'm faithful about pinning. I don't understand how some quilters don't need to pin. Maybe it's because sewing isn't intuitive for me.

Margaret said...

Your stitching is gorgeous! And so is your quilt! It is so pretty! Yes, pins and more pins is good advice. :D And poke the pin through to make sure your seams are lining up properly too.

Von said...

So many wonderful projects! Your samplers are beautiful and I can't wait to see you get that quilt top together. :)

Blu said...

Your WIPs are looking great! I love the reds and whites of the quilt. Can't wait to see it assembled.

Carol said...

Oh, Lois--I am in love with the colors in your quilt!! It is coming together so quickly and I know you'll be successful at sewing the quilt top together. I really admire you for tackling something new!!

Lovely WIPs--especially Hannah. I can see why she would be hard to put down :)

Hope you're enjoying some nice spring weather!!

Lanie said...

Beautiful stitching Lois ... I am in love with SL's 'Mary Gail' ... I hope to stitch her one day, but until then, I'll look forward to your progress posts!
Your quilt colors are lovely ... good luck with the quilting!

Julianna said...

I am curious to know where you got the pattern for the alphabet in BBD Christmas Garden.
jbreillatt@gmail.com

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Can't wait to see your quilt top - is is so pretty as it is now! Love the BBD piece - the colors are so soothing!

Maggee said...

Great projects--all! I have Hannah in my sights now, after seeing yours. The colors are just what I like! Cannot wait to see the quilt top after your class! And --well, you already said it... gotta get moving on Mary Gail! Hugs!

valerie said...

So many lovely things Lois! I just love your Mary Gail and Hannah's colors are so soft and pretty. So glad you found a SAL partner for the Loose Feathers project. Stitching with friends is always much more fun! Good luck with the quilting!

Andrea said...

Beautiful stitching. Lovely colour scheme for your quilt.

Anne said...

Very pretty projects Lois!! I can see why you have a hard time putting down BBD's Hannah. She is just lovely! Can't wait to see the quilt top finished!! It's the putting the quilt together part that I'm afraid of. Joining a class would be so helpful and encouraging. Hugs!!

Karoline said...

Hannah and Mary are looking gorgeous, great progress. Good going with the quilting

Jeanne said...

Wonderful projects you have going - love the red quilt and your stitching is so nice and even on all that green which can be sort of frustrating to stitch. You will get there so no worries. I have SO many BBD patterns I wonder how many I will ever get stitched........LOL

Sally said...

Everything looks lovely Lois. You're making brilliant progress.