Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Mixing it up....

Hi everyone!  Well, I think it’s fair to say I’ve been hit by the quilting bug so stitching has sort of taken a back seat lately.  I am planning to stitch a little today as it’s the Wednesday SAL on IG working on BBD’s Agnes Platt’s Strawberry Sampler and I’ve been very neglectful of her the last two Wednesdays.  I promised a picture last time and here she is….


Such delicious, summery colours.  Once again I’m going with the threads that were already in my stash so it’s a mix of the suggested overdyeds and DMC alternatives.  I also didn’t go with the suggested R&R Vintage Grey in 30ct but I’m using Zweigart’s Dove Grey in 32ct.  Oh, and I went with DMC931 instead of the suggested GA Dungarees (DMC930).

Slowly but surely the BBD LF piece is getting closer to a finish…..


Now if I could just find my stitching mojo to actually concentrate on this one and finish it!!!

And now, on to my latest addiction!!!!  I shared a sneak peek of the Christmas quilt I’d started last time.  Here it is all finished!


The pattern I used for the brick layers you can find here at the blog Sew Me..  Thanks to Sarah for sharing such a great pattern! As you’ll see, I ended up doing my own version of it and, instead of doing more bricks round the outside, I went with an ordinary border.  The bricks are from a Moda Layer Cake which, along with the border, red binding and backing fabric, are all from the same fabric line – Aspen Frost by Basic Grey.


Well, it didn’t even take me to finish that one before I’d started on another one!!  I’d been going through my fabric stash and came across one of the Moda tins of 5” squares.  This one is Faded Memories by 3 Sisters.


I’d bought this years ago with the intention to use the squares as backing fabrics for stitched smalls and had used a couple of them.  Once again, I just did my own thing with the squares.  Lined them up 7 x 6 and then added a first border using 4 of the squares I’d left over in the corners.  I wanted to make it a bit bigger so added the green border but felt it needed broken up a little so did the cream strip in the middle of that.  Here it is now…



It’s quilted and I’m now on the hunt for some binding fabric.  Of course, it has been so many years since I bought the tin that the fabric line is long gone but I managed to find a green that would work for the outside border so next up is either a deep pink or maybe more towards a yellow for the binding.  I’m a little undecided.

Meanwhile, I’ve unearthed two other tins and they’re sitting calling my name so could be I’ll still be on my quilting addiction next time around!! 

And that’s what’s been going on around here lately.  Hope all is well with you and yours and thanks for all the lovely comments last time round!


Until next time….

14 comments:

Margaret said...

Love both your stitching and your quilting! You are going great guns with your quilting! Good for you! Love both quilts!

Melissa said...

Oh that's just too funny. I can hear your overwhelming enthusiasm for quilting. I love the two you have finished. Well done!

I do hope you get that last BBD stitch done as you're so close! I love that Strawberry Sampler and now it has peeked my interest! I haven't been stitching with reds lately and miss it terribly!

Barb said...

Your are doing tow of my favorite things, quilting and stitching. Your work looks just great!

Bianca said...

Great stitching on your BBD pieces, and you've done a wonderful job with your quilts!

Lisa V said...

Both quilts are beautiful Lois. I too have the quilting bug now but I had to hold off a little until I get a walking foot for my sewing machine before I can make larger items, but I have done some smaller things. Stitching definately dropped off for me to, but I forced myself back into it so I could finish a SAL.
Have fun.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Your quilting looks great, it's good to go with what you're enjoying. I think the Zweigart fabric looks good.

Annette-California said...

Gorgeous gorgeous quilts - I love both of them! WOW Congrats on finishing such large projects.
LOVE your BBD - I just finished what your stitching a few weeks ago.
Love your Dove Grey fabric too!
love Annette

Heather said...

Your stitching and quilting are both lovely!

Tammy said...

Those are all so gorgeous! Beautiful quilting. I love quilting too because it's so tactile and you get such quick results! Stitching takes me forever and a day!

Von said...

Lois, your quilting and stitching projects are amazing! And you seem to accomplish a lot very quickly. :)

Sally said...

Oooh what beautiful quitling Lois. You have got a lot done.
Lovely stitching too.

Andrea said...

Lois your quilts are just stunning. Love the colours. Your stitching id so pretty too.

Karoline said...

Nice start on Agnes and you're not far off on the Loose Feathers.

Your quilts are looking gorgeous

blue star stitcher said...

Your quilts are just beautiful! I like the green/cream border you added to the second one, it really was the finishing touch.