Friday, May 2, 2014

Where did April go.......?!?!?!

Hi everyone!  Hmmm, can anyone tell me where April disappeared too?!?!? So much for me aiming to make April a better month for blogging – that certainly didn’t happen!!! Seemed like it was one thing after the other including my old, faithful computer of almost 14 years giving up the ghost midway through the month.  Everyone else in the family had stopped using it years ago but it was still where I always headed when I was doing a blog post!!!!  Now I’m into the world of laptops and I’m still not quite in my comfort zone yet!!

Anyway, with a crazy, hectic month there were quite a few days that I never even managed to pick up a needle and, often if I did have some spare time, I have to admit that it wasn’t stitching I turned too but the sewing machine and fabric.

Stitching first though, I have BBD’s Hannah Lovina Joslin finished all but the personalisation.  I don’t know why I never seem to take a good picture of this one, it always tends to come out quite faded and yet in ‘real life’ it is such sweet colours.


We have gone on to another BBD piece for our next Wednesday SAL on Instagram.  It’s Agnes Platt’s Strawberry Sampler.  Perfect for a summer themed SAL.  Of course, two weeks into it and I have next to nothing to show for it because my last two Wednesdays have been busy but, next time I’ll share a progress pic. 

The only stitching I’ve done this week was a little more on BBD’s Loose Feathers from 2011.  As you can see, the bird is almost finished. 


If I really stuck at this one I could probably have it completed in next to no time.  I can’t say I’m feeling the love for it yet but I am keen to not having it sitting around as a UFO!

I signed up for SB's Fold this year.  SB and I go way back, it was the designer who got me stitching on linen when I wanted to try and stitch one of their band samplers and I still have such a soft spot for them even though it's mainly their Christmas designs I tend to stitch now.  When I heard they were doing a Fold this year, that was it, I was in!  Have I started this yet?!?! No........but hopefully soon.


And on to my ‘new’ addiction!!!!  My quilt from the class is finished.  I’ve been asked for details of the quilt and it’s called Over and Under, by Kim Brackett from her book Scrap-Basket Sensations.  I’m so chuffed with how my first quilt turned out and have signed up to take another class during the summer!


Meanwhile, I’ve been dabbling myself.  Here’s a Christmas one I’ve started….


(just realised I've uploaded this one upside down!)

It’s from a Moda Layer Cake – Aspen Frost by Basic Grey.  I loved the bright Christmas colours in this one although I found myself going in circles with colour placement.  That’s one thing I’m still on a huge learning curve with as I tend to want to find the ‘perfect’ placement but I’m still only a beginner at that. 

And that’s been about it!! I hope all is well with you and yours!  I don’t even want to tempt fate by saying that I’m hoping May will be a better month for blogging – let’s wait and see what happens!!!!


Until next time….. 

19 comments:

Jackie said...

You'll quickly get used to the flexibility of a laptop. I love mine!

Love, love, love your stitching and quilting projects. I think I might have the book your quilt is from. I need to check that out!

Margaret said...

I agree with Jackie -- laptops are great! You will love it eventually. Love your stitching! And the quilting -- great stuff! Quilting and knitting are pulling me away from stitching at the moment, but I do hope to get back to it. As for posting, blogging is for fun, so post when you want to!

Vickie said...

Hannah is beautiful and so is your quilt!!

Krista said...

Beautiful projects!!

Von said...

There's always a steep learning curve with a new computer, but once you adjust, you'll be happy with the laptop. :)
Love your stitching and quilting!!

Melissa said...

Love your stitching WIPs, and the quilts! Once you get the quilt bug you're doomed! lol. More stash to play with!

Have fun!

Carol said...

I've missed you, Lois! I only managed two posts in April and they were spread out over four weeks... just too much to do this time of year :) I am amazed that your old computer served you all those years--that has to be a record :)

Your sampler looks so pretty and I'm sure the colors are luscious in person. Hope the BBD piece gets finished quickly--I know you're anxious to be done with it.

Oh, that quilt is such a lovely picture--you should be very proud of yourself. I'm so glad you have found a new love (although I hope you won't give up your stitching altogether :)

Enjoy your month of May, my friend!

Barb said...

Your stitching is all so beautiful. I do love any BBD project. I'm anxious to start Away We Ride.

valerie said...

Your quilt turned out gorgeous Lois!! And I like your Christmasy practice one too. Hannah and your Winter piece are really coming along! Hope you get the new computer figured out. Amazing yours lasted as long as it did. Have a nice weekend!!

Bianca said...

It's great that your computer lasted 14 years in the first place. I haven't been doing much stitching either lately, life just gets in the way sometimes. All of your WIPs are gorgeous. Congratulations on the quilt. It's so pretty.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely quilting and stitching too. It's good to mix it up and work on different things - quilting is a very rewarding craft. I have a similar relationship with SB - I signed up for the Fold as well but haven't made a start as yet - soon, I hope.

Chris said...

Where did April go? Your stitching looks great. Such wonderful projects. Congratulations on finishing your class quilt, it is so pretty!

Anne said...

We've definitely missed you! But that's how life goes doesn't it?! Love your BBD stitches. Both are so beautiful. Amazing quilt! Well done on that front! I have yet to finish mine so any tips you want to throw my way please do!! Hope the laptop becomes easier to use!

Andrea said...

That's a pretty good record for a computer. Had to quickly 'personalise' my laptop that I had at the end of last year.
Beautiful stitching and quilting. Oh I can't wait for your Christmas quilt. It looks gorgeous already, colours are fab!

Andrea said...

That's a pretty good record for a computer. Had to quickly 'personalise' my laptop that I had at the end of last year.
Beautiful stitching and quilting. Oh I can't wait for your Christmas quilt. It looks gorgeous already, colours are fab!

Denise said...

My goodness! What a busy bee you are! Samplers, quilts....they are all so very lovely. The quilt colors are amazing!
Wishing you well...

Karoline said...

All your projects are looking gorgeous, especially the quilts

Hilda said...

This is your first quilt? Oh my, it turned out adorable! I love the combination of the reds and whites!

The progresses on your WIPs are great also. One of them is one of my long-run projects …. and it will still last until I will get it finished (Birds & Berries).

Your Hannah Lovina is adorable.

Hugs
Hilda

Maggee said...

Hannah looks so beautiful, and when you do the personalization--it will call you to be displayed! Love your finished quilt, and your Christmas start! If I EVER catch up on reading blogs, I plan to try my hand at a small quilting project...