Friday, October 24, 2014

Blowing off the cobwebs......

An appropriate title for this time of year don't you think as I dust this place down and finally do a blog post!!!!  Somehow July turned into August, August into September and, here we are, almost to the end of October......

Life has been busy and there really hasn’t been too much stitching going on, anything creative has been more on the quilting side and my stitching mojo continues to take the long route home but I'm not giving up on it yet!

I will start off with some stitching, not my own though, but a long overdue sharing of a sweet birthday gift that I received back in the summer from my dear friend Carol who many of you know from her wonderful blog Stitching Dreams.


This package arrived in perfect time for my birthday and, as ever, it was a delight to open.  Inside was this lovely scissor fob from an EE&F design, a sweet chart from With Thy Needle & Thread and these lovely quilt notecards.    I did thank Carol at the time but thank you again my friend, the fob has been much admired and I look forward to stitching this chart.

We had a major event in our family this summer……our first grandchild arrived!  Daniel made his entrance towards the end of August and, what can I say, he is a total joy! One of my daughter’s best friends was getting married and they made the journey home when Daniel was 3 weeks old.   I will always treasure this picture, my 91 year old mum meeting her great grandson for the first time……


I have been making regular trips back and forth to England to spend time with him, my daughter and my son-in-law.  He is now 9 weeks old and DH and I are off again next week to spend a few days. 

I’ve taken two quilt classes since I last blogged.  First up was this Plus Quilt. It’s a cot size…….. no guesses who it’s for!!!! 


While I was making it we still didn’t know whether it was going to be a boy or girl so you can see that I went the route of covering all bases as regards colours!!!  The fabric I used was from the UK company Dashwood Studios and their fabric line Prairie.

I’ve recently finished a class where I made this giant hexie quilt.  I decided to go way out of my comfort zone and go with bright colours.


My first time going with a scrappy binding…..


The hexies are made from a layer cake and I went with Moda Folklore by Lily Ashbury.  If you’re interested in the pattern you can purchase it here.

Christmas seems to be just around the corner and I do have some seasonal stitching I need to get too so, maybe just maybe, I’ll have some stitching to share next time round.

Hope all is well with you and yours.


Until next time…

18 comments:

Vickie said...

Oh what a blessing! Congratulations! How darling he is.
Your quilts are fantastic. Good for you.

Melissa said...

How wonderful - a sweet little grandson! Congratulations! Oh I can just see he will be covered with lovely quilts, and maybe even clothing later on. No wonder you are busy.

The quilts look wonderful. You have truly got the quilting bug now! And the gifts from Carol are gorgeous!

Margaret said...

Congratulations on your beautiful grandson! What a special time this is for your family! I love his quilt, and the hexie quilt too! I'm a bright colors person now -- I used to be a pastels person. Funny how things change! lol! Hope all are doing well in your family. It's good to see a post from you. (Love Carol's present to you as well!)

Carol said...

It's so nice to see a new post from you, Lois, and catch up with all you've been up to... I am so thrilled for you--little Daniel is a treasure and I love the photo of him with your dear mother. Congratulations--I'm sure you are a perfect grandmother :)

And your quilts are all so pretty--you are really on a roll! Love the fabrics that you've chosen, too.

You are most welcome for the birthday gifts--glad you enjoyed them. Have a wonderful visit with little Daniel--give him a cuddle for me :)

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Congratulations on the birth of your Grandson. This wonderful stage of babyhood will pass so quickly so you need to treasure every cuddle and smile. The stitching (and other domestic chores) will wait, but Daniel won't, so enjoy every minute with him.
Your quilts are lovely Lois - the colours are so cheerful - I can see why you are loving them.
Mary

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Nice to read a post from you Lois, you sound as though you've been a busy lady. Congratulations on a beautiful grandson - it's a joy to see your mum meeting him. We had the same situation last Christmas when my nephew came to visit with his new baby and my mum met him for the first time too - my mum will be 90 in January - it's a special moment.

Barb said...

What a wonderful family picture! Enjoy being a Grandmother!

Lisa V said...

What a sweetie! Congrats on becoming a Grandie.
Love both your quilt finishes.

Katrina said...

What a fun post, aren't grandbabies the best thing ever :-)????? Can you believe we are both Nana's ;-)?????

Love the quilts too.

Jackie said...

Congratulations on your grandsons birth! Are you going to be a Nana, Mum, Grandma, etc? Or is it too early?

You're doing a great job with your quilting! Much more adventurous that I was.

Andrea said...

Congratulations on the birth of your grandson. That's the only excuse you need for not blogging! Beautiful quilts, the colours are gorgeous.

Maggee said...

Congrats to you and your family on the birth of Daniel! Great name--also my father's name! Your quilts look fantastic--at least you are doing a little crafting! Hugs!

Mary said...

Lois, how did I not see your post, with such wonderful news?! Congratulations on a very beautiful new grandson!!!

Just roll with the quilting for awhile, the stitching bug is never too far off.

Life is sooo good!

Natasha said...

Congratulations on your beautiful new grandson!! I love your quilts, such vibrant colors. Enjoy your visit.

Karoline said...

Congratulations on your new grandson, the photo with your Mother is wonderful.

I love your new quilts, they are gorgeous

Sally said...

Your grandson is adorable Lois! What a beautiful photo of him and your Mum.

Love your quilts.

valerie said...

Congratulations on your first grandchild, Lois! He is adorable and that photo of your mom holding him is such a treasure. I adore the little gift Carol stitched for you. It's lovely and your quilts look great. I love the cot one and it will help keep Daniel warm!