Thursday, January 22, 2015

Ditherings.....

Oh yes, lots of dithering going on around here!!  Usually I start off the year with ideas, have a January 1st start and, even if I don’t manage to keep to it, have something of a ‘plan’.  Not this year, nope!  No January 1st start (well, I did have a full house at that point – 6 adults and a baby – fabric and thread didn’t even enter my head!) and whether that’s been what has thrown me off or not I don’t know but, here it is almost to the end of the month and I still don’t feel like I have much to show.

I have decided on some Christmas stitching for through the year and have started to work on these…


 the Prairie Schooler Christmas Favorites booklet.  I’m using #santasundayxs on IG as the incentive to keep going.  You’ll notice I’ve started the second one but haven’t done the backstitching in the corners of the first one.  I did start that but wasn’t feeling the love so decided to leave it for now.    I’m stitching these on fabric from my stash, it’s feeling like R&R linen, and the suggested DMC threads.  The fabric isn’t showing it’s true colour, it’s coming up quite washed out in this picture, blame that on my photo taking skills (or lack thereof)!

Next up, something that Carol has already shared on her blog, the ornament that I sent as part of her Christmas gift.  This was a cute one to stitch, a chart I’d come across by chance,  Silent Night by AB Designs.


Then something that isn’t Christmas related!  I don’t think I shared any part of this one while I was stitching it as I didn’t want to spoil the surprise should my daughter drop by my blog.

I stitched LHN’s Simplicity but you’ll see I changed it slightly and, instead of  stitching the word Simplicity, I put our grandson’s name, date of birth and added a couple of bee buttons.  I was pleased with how it turned out  (and happily they loved it!) and I gave it at Christmas when they were here and could take it home with them. 


Excuse that the wrapping is still round the frame but we decided to leave that on until they got home in case it was damaged.

And finally, one other little bit of stitching. A chart that has been in my stash for quite a few years but I’m only getting round to stitching it now!


BOAF’s Love.   Now, a bit like the PS ones, this picture is showing up somewhat washed out, both for the fabric and the threads.  Again, it’s fabric from my stash (note a theme starting to run here …. stash diving rather than buying!) and I’m using the suggested colours although a mix of DMC and overdyeds.  Not sure how I’m going to finish this one, maybe a pillow or in a small frame.

I’m still not settled on a large project.  I’ve pulled fabric and threads for several different pieces but either I’ve done a couple of stitches and just thought ‘no, not for me right now’ or I haven’t even got as far as that.  That elusive project will be found, it’s not like I don’t have enough charts here to find something I’d love to stitch, and I am actually keen to have a year long project on the go. 

I have a number of new followers on the blog so thank you for adding me to your lists.  While I may be dithering over what I’m going to stitch I am hoping to be blogging a bit more regularly (I know, almost the end of January and this is my first post!!) and also commenting on other blogs. I have been very neglectful of that but plan to rectify it.  It has been lovely to catch up with the plans everyone has for this coming year and it has certainly brought some charts that I have in my stash to mind which I had completely forgotten about.

I’m not the greatest fan of January as a month but it seems to be going in quite quickly.  Hope all is well with you and yours and here is to 2015 being a wonderful stitching year for us all!

Until next time….

18 comments:

Vickie said...

Yes, I saw Carol's sweet gift. :)
I love your grandson's piece.
BOAF Love has always been charming to me.

Hilda said...

Dear Lois,
so nice to read again from you here, and I hoped you had a great during the holidays.
I already saw this tiny Christmas beauty on Carol's blog. It is so lovely! And also is the picture you made for your daughter (or grandson).
I love both of your starts and I am looking forward to seeing more of these tine TPS-ornaments.

Have a wonderful rest of January!

Hugs
Hilda

Brigitte said...

Oh, so great to come to your blog and to see so much eye candy. Love the ornament you made for Carol and I love the little birth sampler you stitched for your grandson. It is fantastic how you made this lovely design into a birthsampler. A wonderful idea. And I needn't say anything about Prairie Schooler Santas - they are all my favourites no matter which book you choose.

I am sure that you will soon come across that one project that is still hidden in your stash and when you see it you say: This is it! :)

valerie said...

Happy New Year Lois! Love your PS ornie starts and the BOAF. It's hard to get back into the swing of things after the holidays. Carol sent you such a sweet little ornie! So cute!

Margaret said...

I love all your stitching projects! The birth sampler is perfect -- love how you changed it into the perfect piece for your grandson! Watching the tennis -- should be a good day for tennis!

Cindy's Stitching said...

The framed piece is beautiful. Such a sweet gift you sent Carol. Happy New year and Happy stitching.

Joy said...

What lovely stitching...the birth sampler is a true treasure. I like the santas without the outline stitch, but then I don't care to do it. Carol's gift was so nice too. I'm so happy to be back to blogging, now I just have to get this computer off my lap:)

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I love Daniel's gift and all of your other choices as well. I'm not a fan of January either, it can be a very grey and cold month. Never mind, Spring is just around the corner.

Melissa said...

Yay, great to see your post Lois! You've done lots of lovely stitching! I really like the piece you adapted for Daniel. I must look that up - such a cute design!

I know what you mean about January. It's pouring out right now and we have rainfall warnings so we'll be singing with the ducks this weekend!

Katrina said...

That birth sampler is just so sweet!!!!!!! Don't you love having a grandbaby :-)!!!!! Fun projects.

Maggee said...

I stitched Simplicity last year--it was a fun one! Love how you personalized it! And your PS and BOAF ones are coming along nicely. I am also flitting around because I get guilty about not finishing things, but then get bored and want to start something new! Oh well, You will find your pace and what makes you happy. Hugs!

Mary said...

Lois, you know from way back there is a very special spot in my heart for all things Prairie Schooler, so I'll be cheering you on with those darling little Santas!

What a perfect little piece for Daniel to grow up with.

Andrea said...

All of your stitching gifts are beautiful. The WIPs you have are looking lovely and I'm looking forward to your progress.

Chris said...

Love these little PS Christmas Designs.I also love the BOAF piece. I wish that they were still designing.
I love the piece that you did for Daniel. You did a great job changing it up.
Have a wonderful weekend!

Sally said...

Lovely WIPs and finishes Lois. Your sampler for your grandson is gorgeous.

Barbi said...

I love the PS chart, I have this in my stash and plan on pulling that out sometime this year. What a great idea to stitch in Daniel's name on that project, it looks great!
I saw your ornament over at Carol's...so sweet.

Carol said...

I am FINALLY catching up on blog reading, Lois! I'll have to say, I think the birth sampler for Daniel is the prettiest I've seen! What a great idea you had and I will definitely file it away just in case I am lucky enough to join the ranks of grandmotherhood (is that a word!!??)...

You know how much I love your ornament, Lois--your stitching and finishing are both just perfect. I will treasure it always.

Cute PS ornaments you're stitching, too. I'm as glad as you that January is almost over!! We didn't have a terrible month weather-wise, but it sure was long and cold--on to short February :)

Dani - tkdchick said...

I've been following all of your great stitchyness on Instagram! Its funny that you're keeping the backstitching off of the PS ornaments, I found when I gave mine as gifts last year that was the part that people seemed to comment about was the backstitching in the corners! Of course it was a pain and time consuming but so nice in the end!