Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A finish, an update and a new start...

Hi everyone!  I’m happy to report a finish this time round as I put the final stitches in BBD’s Spring Tulips last week.


BBD Spring Tulips - Stitched on 32ct Antique White using the suggested threads

I did make some changes in this one.  The year is stitched on either side of the middle tulip but when I’d done that, with a 5 in place of the original 1 (it was published in 2011), I didn’t care for it much.  It just looks too big and clumpy.  So out the date came and I just continued with adding a few blue off set squares which I figured tied in with the rest.  Then I decided against stitching my initials at the side, again, they were quite large when stitched, and filled that space in with some more blue motifs and was happy with how it turned out.

Next up, I’ve made some progress on Brenda Keyes’ Red House Sampler…


Using 32ct cream Belfast Linen and the suggested DMC

I need to get to some of the border vine as I don’t want to leave it to the end and then get totally bogged down in it.

Then, having finished Spring Tulips I wanted to have another smaller WIP.  Shepherd’s Bush Cherish Life has been sitting here a few weeks and I haven’t been great about keeping up to date with this series.  So, I started on that…..


I will say, I swapped out the fabric on this one.  The piece of linen in the kit was much darker than the fabric I’ve received in the earlier kits and I preferred to keep to similar shades.  I did some stash diving and came up with something that I felt was more alike.  I only started this one on Monday, and I haven’t had much stitching time, but it feels like it is stitching up quickly.

Happy days! My stitching mojo seems to be sticking around!  I have still been ‘good’ though and have just made a list of my ‘must haves’ from Market rather than giving in to the temptation of buying. 

Hope all is well with you and yours.  As always, thanks for your lovely comments, I am such an infrequent blogger these days and I really appreciate that people still take time to leave them.

Until next time….


18 comments:

Mdm Samm said...

this is really lovely..your choice of stitchings are authentic..

Barbi said...

So pretty. I love the colors and your other projects are going to be lovely as well.

Carol said...

Your latest finish is lovely, Lois--I think the changes you made are great! And your progress on Red House Sampler is so enjoyable to watch... Glad you could find some suitable linen in your stash for your new SB piece--looks like a fun piece to stitch :)

I'm so glad your stitching mojo is back as I always love seeing what you and your needle have been up to. Have a lovely day, my friend!

Ranae said...

Love your own BBD changes, a small design i works have probably did the same thing, your SB reminds that i have a fob to stitch up. I also only have a list of market things, but i can tell you temptation is settling in, lol
Happy Spring!!

Melissa said...

I love your new finish, Lois! I think you did the right thing making the change in the date.

Glad to see your stitching mojo is back! Have fun!

Margaret said...

Love that BBD finish! It's beautiful! Love the Red House Sampler WIP and the SB WIP too. Like you, I'm doing my best to resist buying anything from market. So far, so good!

Barb said...

I do love the changes you made to spring tulips! I did the same thing with the BBD design"Home is Where My heart Blooms" I did not like that saying. You inspired me and I bought the chart for the Red House. I think it will be my next big project. Any advice?

Sally said...

Beautiful finish Lois. Love your changes.

Love your WIP. I've just signed up for the Fold series after seeing this one on the SB website. Thankfully where I've signed up with is allowing me to get one a month rather than them all at once!

Brigitte said...

Spring Tulips is such a lovely finish. And why not make little changes to the design if there is something that you don't like 100%? Very nice progress on your other WIPs. Brenda Keyes is always worth stitching.

StitchinByTheLake said...

So beautiful! blessings, marlene

Angela CG said...

Beautiful stitching!

Mary said...

Looks like you're finding your way back to your stitching just fine! Love all the fresh springtime projects.

Denise said...

Hi Lois! Love your tulips! I am sorry that your date and initials did not work out for you. I am one of those who just has to put initials and dates on everything so in years come when they are on auction at Christie's, they will be worth more!! Actually, I have had the same problem as you. Sometimes
I stitch over one for my initials just
to make them fit in and look better.
Glad to see that you are enjoying stitching once again.

Tammy said...

Your stitching is beautiful-the tulip finish is gorgeous and looks wonderful just the way it is.

Tammy said...

Your stitching is beautiful-the tulip finish is gorgeous and looks wonderful just the way it is.

averyclaire.org said...

Oh my..found your blog through a blog hop. All your work is beautiful. Love the colors in your recent piece.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Congrats on your lovely finish!

Karoline said...

Spring tulips is lovely and great progress on your other projects